Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whos using the matco adj upper control arms?? do you like them? i am keeping a stock length lower control arm due to the fact i already bought a drive shaft, and dont want problems.

should i get the upper first? then the lowers? i might make my own lower control arms. then i would like to get the air bags. should that be good for the back??

thanks
mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm running Metco arms extended lowers and adj uppers.
Why do you think you need adjustables if all your doing is bagging?
I'd go to Global Wests site and read up on suspension components related to what you'ld like to do before purchasing any components just my .02

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Metco uppers dont compare to our uppers in strength, weight, or adjustability. Never use adjustable uppers without stronger lower. Won't hold settings. Boxed lowers won't work either. You should also use the triangulation braces to keep upper crossmember from flexing. Go to dickmillerracing.com for more info. Our tig welded chromemoly lowers weigh only about 3#

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i do plan on racing this car heavily and plan on puting upper and lower control arms on. i am just keeping stock length rear lower control arms because i already bought a driveshaft.

now a box lower control arm wont work? do i need tubular control arms?? i know i could make something that is better then stock. i know that the prices for tubular control arms can get expensive, but i also want something that wont break.

and my question about the air bags was also for a better launch, not to drop the car or anything.

dick, i will definatly check out your site. i know that if anyone knows hot to launch a car, its you!! im glad you pitched in on this.

edit: ive checked the site and i think ill be saving towards one of your kits :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have Metco upper and lowers on my 95 SS. I am very happy with them, especially compared to the non-centered factory set up. I actually got the Metco's JUST because I wanted to center the rear wheels. The rear suspension benefits were an added perk.

However...I have the Dick Miller suspension on my 96 SS and the upgrade is outstanding. This car handles like you wouldn't believe! If you are going to spend your hard earned cash, do it right and get Dick's setup. Night and day over the factory set up, and a significant upgrade over the Metco's.

I have BMR uppers and lowers on the 94 SS, and they are ok too, but again, nothing compared to the DMR set up.

I will take some pics of the 96 as soon as the weather gets better!

PS - Dick Miller did not pay me to say the above!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If anyone knows how to launch a heavy Impala SS it would be Mike Harris. He boxed and adjusted his stock control arms. You know, Mike Harris, 94 Impala SS with 350 rear wheel horse power and 11.8 1/4 mile ET and the quickest 60' of any natural Impala SS no matter how big the engine or how radical the set up.
Just thought I'd throw that option out there.
Karl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since no 60 ft times were given I will assume they are good. However there is more to launching a car than 60 ft. I believe even though he has good 60 ft times with the set up he has we can always make it better and more consistant.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dick, check out the sortable, searchable, peer checked and verified Impala SS 1/4 times page.
Here is a link to it and I have it sorted for you by 60'. Notice Mike is the 1st one you see "motor" listed for power.
web page

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the the feed back big kahuna. ive heard of dick miller from my years of reading car magazines and saw the amazing things he did with the olds muscle cars. the kit looks very good, and i plan on putting alot of power down eventualy. so ill be saving for the kit.

if someone buys my truck in the next couple weeks ill be making an order :D :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i do have one question though dick, does your 650 plus kit, are the lower control arm extended? i bought an expensive dennys drive shaft already and did not compinsate for extended control arms.

do the extended control arms realy make a difference?? ill be buying one of the kits in the next few months. right now i have to finish the motor and swap the trans.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by 9c1caprice95:
do the extended control arms realy make a difference??
They do make a difference in a negative way. Think about it. The front axle would have to support more weight.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Aftermarket extended are better than stock but stock length aftermarket are better. Mike Harris went longer to fit big meats that are apparently enough to offset the wheelbase change negatives. Really the wheelbase change being a negative is probably more splitting hairs than anything, yes it is certainly a bad thing but probably not enough to measure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The 3/4" longer was done for one reason and that was to get a bigger tire under the car. Yes it must have an effect on weight ratio but not much. For an additional $60.00 we will make a custom length or in your case stock length. The NOS-6028 kit may be able to shortened that much. When you are ready to order ask for me and I will measure to be sure or we can go custom.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is an upper control arm question for you all. Since there are 3 different part numbers for the upper control arms (3 different lengths -2, 0, +2), which one do you all make? Currently I have a bad pinion angle and have two options. Modify my current uppers or buy adjustables and set it that way. I have never heard of people even paying attention to the fact that there are 3 different length arms and wondered why.
TOM B

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If by u-all you mean me we make several length uppers but they are for specific cars. There is only one upper for your application. If the upper can change 4" total then sonething like the rear housing or the crossmember must also be changing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok thanks alot for the info, i will talk to you dick when the im ready. right now i got alot of stuff going on, and the cars finaly geting together. when i finish the new motor ill be giving you a call, might have some money then

thanks everyone else for your input.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.