Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Sofasst may be owning another SS as soon as Saturday. It is a 96 with 58K miles on it. Here is my question. This car is built out the whazoo. It has a 383 with heads, cam, longtubes, MSD ignition and a paxton supercharger. Supposedly the guy who owned it de-tuned the motor to get it to pass emissions inspection. Does this sound familiar? How many HP should this motor be pushing? Just an educated estimate. I really want it but I am a little scared of the motor being built like it is without knowing all of the fine details about it. The lot where it is at only deals in hotrods and they have been in business for over 20 years. They told me that I could take it to a mechanic to get it checked out. What do you guys think about the detuning to pass inspection line?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Originally posted by SoFaSSt:
......This car is built out the whazoo. It has a 383 with heads, cam, longtubes, MSD ignition and a paxton supercharger. Supposedly the guy who owned it de-tuned the motor to get it to pass emissions inspection.......How many HP should this motor be pushing?......
At the wheels......between 350 and 550 HP......depending on the tune.....the SC.....the boost.....the heads.....the cam......etc

What I'm getting at is that we don't really have the necessary information to give you a solid estimate

KW

PS: Welcome back!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to try and call the guy who built the car today and get specs on the heads, cam and everything. If I get it I am going to try and find a shop where they can work on the tune right in the shop instead of sending off for a tune and it may be what I need or may not. I will post specs later today if I am able to get in touch with him.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
see if you can get specs on the pistons. They should be dished to help lower the compression ratio on that 383. If they are flat top pistons then be carefull with the blower boost.

for passing emissions I'd think you would 'not' de-tune. But you would want a 'good' tune and maybe some idle tuning tricks to help lower emissions. Tad would know.

Karl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, that SS is definetly out!!! To see it go to www.maplemotors.com and look in the cars listings. It is the one with the 20's on it and the supercharger. If any of you are tempted to buy it don't waste your time. You won't get out the door for less than $15,319.53. It is ROUGH!!! I don't understand how anyone can spend that much money on a motor on a car and let the car go to pieces around it. It needs new paint, new carpet, door trim pieces, rear deck carpet, new trunk carpet, and some serious work under the hood. It is in pitiful shape. The car doesn't run like it should either. I don't buy the detuned story since I tried calling the original owner about 40 times and he wouldn't return my call, but a built 383 with a supercharger should be really fast and by SOTP feel, my almost stock 91 Corvette is as fast as it is. I know it weighs more, but it should be pushing at least 500 HP with that setup and it is not what it should be. So it also needs some motorwork to get it right. If it looks interesting to you, you might want to make a trip to Nashville to get it, but get ready to spend some cash on it, and the lot people know nothing about the motor except that it is supposedly a 383. The guy who sold it to them had no receipts for any of the work done to the car and go figure, the shop that did the work is now closed. So it is a gamble that could cost you a lot of money to repair if isn't built the right way. Maybe one day soon, I'll find me a nice SS and get to rejoin the family.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dont mess with those guys. Ive heard some horry stories. They also overprice as you can see.
The owner of this car only wanted 9K for it 2yrs ago. The dealer asking $14,900.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You've heard too. Well, the pictures on their site looks a whole better than they do in person. Everything on their lot with the exception on the monster H2 and an Escalade looks like crap. I would not have paid more than $10 grand for that 96 as rough as it is and the one guy there told me that they could get $14,900 out of it even if they pulled the supercharger and everything off of the motor. I wanted to tell him that he must be smoking crack but I was nice. I am just going to keep looking and the right 96 will come along.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.