Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up guys well i have another issue with my fleetwood it has 111000 miles on it with the towing package. I was driving the other day on the freeway and i tried to floor it to pass a truck and the car started sputtering like it wants to die. Its like after i have been driving the car for 15-20 mins when the car is warm i have this issue. So the next morning i go out to look and stuck my hand under the water pump i noticed a a small puddle of coolant along with some oil (it might of just been dirt from the engine). Does this mean my opti took a dump? i started taking the engine apart today and cant get the belt off for the mechanical fan so my question is can i ditch the mechanical fan for the dual electronic fans? cause this is really a pita

·
Registered
2,321 Posts

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
....(1)on the freeway and i tried to floor it to pass a truck and the car started sputtering like it wants to die. Its like after i have been driving the car for 15-20 mins when the car is warm i have this issue.

(2)So the next morning i noticed a small puddle of coolant
....Does this mean my opti took a dump?

.....(3)can i ditch the mechanical fan for the dual electronic fans?
1. You then apparently have warm stumble. Lots of possible causes.

2. No, it means your waterpump is taking a dump, and most likely on the opti.

3. Yes, you can ditch the mech. fan for electrics.

Lotsa lotsa info on all these issues from what I've seen posted. Why not do some keyword searches and try to narrow it down to the most likely prospects.

coil, ground post, wires, plugs, pcv, intake hose leaks. intake manifold leaks, opti vent hose, fuel pump, and of course your wp leaking on the opti.

·
Registered
629 Posts
The mechanical fan has a belt tensioner just like the other serpentine belt. I also have a FWB with the tow package. I recently replaced the AC compressor and thought about going to electric fans only. I changed my mind because the mechanical fan is more dependable (it works all of the time). I've been in situations where the electric fan used with AC crapped out and left me waiting for the hight temp fan to kick in. Man, that sucker got hot. That's just my opinion. If you do away with the mechanical fan, would you check to see if the mounting bracket is bolted on like the attached photo. If so, I would like to buy the bolts.
Thanks and good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I been doing alot of searching and still cant come up with an answer. I replaced my fuel pump about a month ago and that was half of my problems along with the egr valve and pcv. I checked my fuel pressure and that is fine 45 with key turned and about 38 idle. I dont think it would be my coil because i dont have any starting issues. I just wanted you guys opinion if i should go ahead and replace the opti or not. I tested the opti vent harness with a piece of paper and it didnt seem to hold vaccum

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
It could be the ignition wires. Under stress they are more likely to act up. Water on them can cause grounding. Check for fireworks under the hood at night.

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
I been doing alot of searching and still cant come up with an answer. I replaced my fuel pump about a month ago and that was half of my problems along with the egr valve and pcv. I checked my fuel pressure and that is fine 45 with key turned and about 38 idle. I dont think it would be my coil because i dont have any starting issues. I just wanted you guys opinion if i should go ahead and replace the opti or not. I tested the opti vent harness with a piece of paper and it didnt seem to hold vaccum
Ok, NOW you decide to tell us all that stuff. cwm1
Still, my advice is try to do all the PM that a car with your miles deserves. I call you got a vacuum leak at least one place you ain't found unless you'replaced the intake and every hose there is. When and if everything else don't work then at least you'll feel better popping for the opti while you're into the WP anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts