Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
^@[email protected]!&L Old Mother Hubbard!

I received all of my electric wp parts today (Meizer HD and innovative wires). So I clean off my old pump on the shelf and start to disassemble it. I broke one of the bottom bolts over the weep hole while trying to get the front plate off. this really isn't the issue because I will be able to get that bolt out once I get the damn plate off. How did you get the front plate off of your old pump? I was pounding on it with a punch but that aluminum just started to chip.

Thanks,

Will

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
my guess, without seeing your WP, is the case and cover have corroded together. With all bolts removes, take a gasket scraper and tap it between the cover & housing working your way around the WP

Normally the cover would come off easily after bolts removed. There is a large "O" ring that seals cover & case you will need to use on the EWP so if it is F'ed up on your removal you can buy a new one at dealership for a few $.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my guess, without seeing your WP, is the case and cover have corroded together. With all bolts removes, take a gasket scraper and tap it between the cover & housing working your way around the WP

Normally the cover would come off easily after bolts removed. There is a large "O" ring that seals cover & case you will need to use on the EWP so if it is F'ed up on your removal you can buy a new one at dealership for a few $.
Yep okay, yeah 1slow96 mentioned meizers didnt come with the o-ring. ill get that Monday cause I know i will not be reusing this gasket.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
I seem to recall a thread dealing with the Mezeire o-ring issue that included the size/style of o-ring to source from Grainger also.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

I got it off now its time to tackle the shaft. Then I'll dust off my bolt extractor and dig that broken screw on the bottom left out or I may be able to turn it out from the backside with my drill.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
Simply take a pin punch,and drive the shaft out the back of the pump. The impeller will be left in the housing.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Simply take a pin punch,and drive the shaft out the back of the pump. The impeller will be left in the housing.
Perfect. It came right out then the rest of the guts I pushed out in the other direction and put the plug in snug. Thanks cwm7

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
have this "spare" seal with the spare EWP...IIRC it was around $3.xx at the dealer when I bought it....years ago though. still should not be much $ though
DoggoneIt all local dealers are out of the o ring. Gotta order it. what about the paper gasket is that still needed?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
I wouldn't recommend using RTV at all. If using a new,or used o-ring. Some dielectric grease on the o-ring is all you need. If it ever has to come off,you'll thank me...

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wouldn't recommend using RTV at all. If using a new,or used o-ring. Some dielectric grease on the o-ring is all you need. If it ever has to come off,you'll thank me...
Thanks Slow. the o-ring came in today.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
Electric w/p

Maybe clean up the mounting face using a block-sander with some 220/400 sandpaper.

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
Nope. I had to scrape a paper gasket off. See that paper gasket in the picture. I'll use some 'ultra black' sealant like in the Niasso instructions.

can't see your pic.....and its been 16 years since I put on my EWP...but I don't recall any "paper" gasket other than the ones between housing & block. You just need the O ring for EWP to housing

1 - 20 of 29 Posts