Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
I try to pass this on to any and everyone I can.

One of my first boss's taught me to 'film grease' gaskets prior to installation.

Absolutely no glue/rtv/silicone is needed. A film grease'd gasket will seal nicely [provided clean and flat mating surfaces], and generally will peel right off [if not fall off] come removal time. No scrapping of anything req'd.

Common sense exception: exhaust system gaskets.

In over 45 years of turning wrenches, the above tip is one of the best one's I've ever received. I've reused my diff cover gasket twice. Am not a cheap bastardo but why buy a new gasket if not necessary. This said, I've got a new diff gasket that has been stored for a long time.

Being educated on proper oil filter installation was the second best tip!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I try to pass this on to any and everyone I can.

One of my first boss's taught me to 'film grease' gaskets prior to installation.

Absolutely no glue/rtv/silicone is needed. A film grease'd gasket will seal nicely [provided clean and flat mating surfaces], and generally will peel right off [if not fall off] come removal time. No scrapping of anything req'd.

Common sense exception: exhaust system gaskets.

In over 45 years of turning wrenches, the above tip is one of the best one's I've ever received. I've reused my diff cover gasket twice. Am not a cheap bastardo but why buy a new gasket if not necessary. This said, I've got a new diff gasket that has been stored for a long time.

Being educated on proper oil filter installation was the second best tip!
Nice to know, thanks.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
can't see your pic.....and its been 16 years since I put on my EWP...but I don't recall any "paper" gasket other than the ones between housing & block. You just need the O ring for EWP to housing

That's a long time how many miles do you think you have on it?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
...welp my electric pump has been hanging in there since 2014 and my daughter drives the car to school today and one of the metal coolant pipes pops out. I had to search the forum just to remember when I installed the thing. lol

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Tap to 1/2" NPT ,and install a hose barb. Or,convert to AN-10 ...

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
1slow96; great advise, wish I could do it on the car, lol. metal shavings would be an issue though. I'm going to pull it off and tap the other one too.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
You could pack the tap with beeswax to trap most,if not all shavings. Then hit hole with a shop-vac,and call it done.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You could pack the tap with beeswax to trap most,if not all shavings. Then hit hole with a shop-vac,and call it done.
...BOOM! ...I'm on it. thanks.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts