Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my weird question for the day: has anyone put the Mike Harris tubular transmission crossmember on their Fleetwood? I dropped the car off at my trans place yesterday for the warranty inspection on the rebuild and the guy had said he would swap in the crossmember for me but he called today and said it didn't fit right. I stopped down so he could show me and sure enough, the center bracket isn't right.

The factory crossmember apparently has two holes in the center, and while the Fleetwood utilizes one, the B-bodies I'm guessing utilize the other. It looks like it'll be an easy fix, he's going to weld some steel plate to the existing center bracket on the tubular unit and add the missing hole so that it'll bolt up, throw some black paint on it and finish installing it Monday.

Once I get the car back next week I'll try to take some pics to show what I'm talking about, was just curious if anyone else had encountered this, or if I'm just special.

Registered
As I recall that X-member is shaped quite different from oem. I take it you've seen pics of the install not to automatically go with the shop's presumed orientation. If everything else is the same then the fix from your description would simply be drilling a center hole, not adding plates to do the same thing.

Now since I've been absolutely no help I have a question: Why do you need that on your FWD - especially if sticking with the automatic? I know you're doing headers, but I did Tri-2 on my SS without changing the X-member.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose I could double check that he has it oriented correctly, but from what I briefly looked at I believe he was correct. I'll see if I can find some pics online quick to illustrate what I'm talking about. Mainly I wanted it for the weight reduction and just more room for the exhaust, especially with the exhaust clamps I opted to use instead of having it welded. I realize the weight probably isn't huge, but I figure every little bit that I can extract will add up over time and be worth it. I have other plans for cutting weight as budget allows, this was just the first piece of that puzzle.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I snagged this from another thread, I think I'll run back down to the shop to confirm, but I believe the issue is that on the Fleetwood it's using the second hole in the middle section, towards the rear of the vehicle. The tubular member doesn't have a provision for that hole, so the plan is to extend the plate out with a piece welded on and put in a hole in the correct position.

Registered
Ah-so. Thanks. And seeing them together makes it pretty hard gettin it in wrong. Mike needs to build with that added meat and hole eh.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Ah-so. Thanks. And seeing them together makes it pretty hard gettin it in wrong. Mike needs to build with that added meat and hole eh.
Yep, I just got back home from running down there and I confirmed that we aren't crazy, the D-bodies are different. So yes, Mr. Mike Harris needs to make a D-body specific version for us goofy Fleetwood guys. :grin2:

I took a couple pics too to confirm, the crossmembers are the same for all vehicles. On the B-bodies though, they use the hole nearest the flat side, but the D-body uses the hole nearest the curved side. If I can I'll get a pic of the modification after it's done. Basically, the steel plate Mike uses is 1/8" thick, so we're going to weld a 3/16" steel plate the same width right over top the whole thing but extended out past where it stops so the second hole can be properly located.

The original hole will be completely covered up, but that won't be an issue unless I ever wanted to remove it and sell it to a B-body owner. Also you can see in the closeup there's a height difference going from the first hole to the second, but by adding this plate we think the new hole should end up at the exact same height relative to the original crossmember.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
And a picture of the Mike Harris tubular crossmember installed. Note that I had to lengthen the mount bracket because the crossmember sits further back on Fleetwood than it does on B bodies.

Mike
Figures I'd find this weeks later while just reading random old threads on the forum. Definite confirmation that the crossmember was never intended for the Fleetwood and that like mine, it needed slight modification to fit properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts