Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

Please read my audio goal. I am looking for all tips, tricks and constructive criticism.

Goal:

Head unit: I think Single DIN looks nicer, but am open to double DIN if there are benefits or if its cheaper.

Single DIN Kit: Metra 99-3300

Speakers: Upgrade front 4x6 and rear 6x9's. (Am I missing any)

Front: Scosche SAT69 adapter for 4x6 -> 6.5

Tweeters: Delete OEM tweeters as I assume they are dry/no good and I can get coaxial speakers that include a tweeter.

Amp: Only upgrade if necessary. Can I wire everything into the stock amp in the wheel well?

Wiring: Do not want to change wiring because the PO just installed new carpet and I don't want to pull it up.

Other: What did I miss?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Attachments

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Is a 95 different from 96? I have 6.5" on my stock wagon, with what I read was 1-2" tweeter if I remember correctly.

In my opinion, I'd take a panel off your car and see what you have. I would not delete the tweeters, assuming you have the concert sound. If it were me I'd put new a new 6.5 component set using the 6.5 in the stock location and the tweeters in their stock location. The imaging should be much better than sticking them lower on the door.

Only 96 has a double din stock, so I'd go single to make it easier.

As far as wiring, with a new harness everything will be plug and play. For speakers you could probably find something plug and play, but most likely you will just snip the ends off the old wires and put new connectors so they will work with the speakers you buy. The speakers will run off the new head unit, through that amp you pictured.

I put a Pioneer DD in mine, added a sub amp and subs and am fine with my original speakers, it gets loud enough.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is a 95 different from 96? I have 6.5" on my stock wagon, with what I read was 1-2" tweeter if I remember correctly.

In my opinion, I'd take a panel off your car and see what you have. I would not delete the tweeters, assuming you have the concert sound. If it were me I'd put new a new 6.5 component set using the 6.5 in the stock location and the tweeters in their stock location. The imaging should be much better than sticking them lower on the door.

Only 96 has a double din stock, so I'd go single to make it easier.

As far as wiring, with a new harness everything will be plug and play. For speakers you could probably find something plug and play, but most likely you will just snip the ends off the old wires and put new connectors so they will work with the speakers you buy. The speakers will run off the new head unit, through that amp you pictured.

I put a Pioneer DD in mine, added a sub amp and subs and am fine with my original speakers, it gets loud enough.

Thanks, where did you put the amp? I want to keep the rear seating...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought the small audio pipe class D amp and put it in the drives side wheel well, right between the 6x9 and cargo box. My speaker wire comes out of the hole where the rubber stop for the middle seat goes.
Smart, thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts