Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
you likely have the classic cold solder joints on the resistors on the instrument cluster for mileage read out. Common on 96

Often just "re melting" the solder fixes the issue.

Removing the instrument cluster is not hard. Use a low watt soldering iron with small tip

There likely are several "how to" videos if you search

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
Thanks there Blak- I had VERY infrequent odo fade on my SS some time back, but haven't noticed it for years since. It's been getting more noticeable now with this weather. I usually don't drive it in winters, so it may have been a freezing weather issue for quite some time. Anyway, will be ordering the kit thanks again. And din't realize NAISSO still out there. Now do they still have those 140mph window stickers hmmmm...

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
IDK the Impala SuperStore was still in biz but that is where I got my odometer fix kit SEVERAL years ago. Easy install but you do need to have the right solder iron or you can really FU the circuit board.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
96 impala my mileage is not showing everything else is working fine
I did this when my 96 Imp was under warranty .. dealer said it will take one week and they were gonna put another odometer in .. I said not gonna happen .. so I got info from other owners with this and I got the shop manual .. took me 45 min to simply resolder those odometer resistor joints .. using a 35 watt soldering iron and a small amount of rosin flux lead solder . still working 21 yrs now .

GM trucks have had these dash soldering failures over many years many other dash issues on GM Mexico work ..

DO NOT CHANGE THOSE RESISTORS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOME DID !

·
Registered
116 Posts
Anyway, will be ordering the kit thanks again. And din't realize NAISSO still out there. Now do they still have those 140mph window stickers hmmmm...
Just got my odometer kit in the mail this week. He is an online-only order business these days, but he still has some of the goodies. We used to stop at his store on the way down to Daytona and I always brought home something that I had no intention of buying. Once it was the Stillen front bumper cover. Now that was fun to tote back home.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
Now do they still have those 140mph window stickers hmmmm...
Hey Bob, I went there and saw they have the Pursuit stickers. My wife always thought it was a cool thing so I ordered one. Yes the 140 MPH sticker was there too. BTW, I noticed the +1 rubber. Oh Bob, it's so big and long? Never mind. TMI >:)

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
Yah I caught they have them, and it matches the one on the pass side (the one that didn't recently somehow come off). With $7.98 cost and $8 postage (??????????WTF???????) I'll wait until ordering the odo kit too. Don't wanna get it yet as I'm tripping over 10 other things ordered and not installed yet (DM braces, new clear sidmarkers, put the son's Monte back together......)

Haha yes my old sig had a good run - after 16 years just time to retire it eh. Will have to find something to top it when I get my new one painted up.

EDIT: +1 rubber. You know Mark I don't do puns, but I got it - finally..............

·
Registered
1996 ImpalaSS WX3
448 Posts
You can always send it in to be done for you.
$149 I think...
I believe there are several individuals and companies out there doing the repair, but you have to send yours in and wait until it gets fixed, and shipped back.
I did it myself using the NAISSO heat sink resistor relocate kit, great kit, works great, but you need to have the right iron, and pretty significant soldering experience, or you CAN really mess the board up.
Hope that helps...

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
Yah I caught they have them, and it matches the one on the pass side (the one that didn't recently somehow come off). With $7.98 cost and $8 postage (??????????WTF???????) I'll wait until ordering the odo kit too. Don't wanna get it yet as I'm tripping over 10 other things ordered and not installed yet (DM braces, new clear sidmarkers, put the son's Monte back together......)

Haha yes my old sig had a good run - after 16 years just time to retire it eh. Will have to find something to top it when I get my new one painted up.

EDIT: +1 rubber. You know Mark I don't do puns, but I got it - finally..............
You're slowing down Bob. Must be the cold up there. (_)? Have a cup of coffee on me.

I ordered that sticker from NAISSO on 2/21/19. $8.19 for shipping on a $9.95 item. 3 day shipping. I'm still waiting. Seems as if an envelope and a stamp would have covered it.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
1996 ImpalaSS WX3
448 Posts
Ya,
I forgot to mention I ordered the kit and did the repair 4 years ago.
Sorry bout that guys...

·
Registered
2,942 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Does the nassio kit work for a 95?
JimpalaSS95

96 is a one year analog (needle) speedometer. 94/95 is a digital blue fluorescent speedometer.

At 20+ years old the speedometer board's documented solder cracks on the circuit boards should be fixed. Just doing pad repairs does not have a high probability of fixing the problem.

ShudahadaV8 write up and pictures show the solder cracks well:

https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulle...lay-fix-2.html

1 - 18 of 18 Posts