Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty self explanatory problem that I have no answer to. If I drive my car thus increasing the mileage on it, mileage numbers aren't "saved"....this occurs about 90% of the time...showing 201322 now...

Wuts up??

·
Registered
210 Posts
Mileage is stored in the PCM. Hence why when you get a new cluster, you can get the mileage 'pulled' from the PCM to be original.
Any other issues with your cluster?

·
Registered
581 Posts
One problem the PCM has nothing to do with the mileage reading on the gauge cluster, except for the fact it outputs the speedometer signal to the gauge cluster(and a couple other components). If the gauge cluster is displaying erroneous mileage readings then there is an issue with the gauge cluster itself and it needs to be fixed, or just ignored as its still recording the mileage correctly just not displaying it correctly. - Peter

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's the only other issue that I am aware of. So I will add a New cluster to the list of what i need. Thx a lot!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I was going to say that I recently replaced my cluster with one I pulled from a yard. The mileage of the old vehicle showed up, instead of my mileage. I'd say that means that the mileage that is displayed on the cluster is stored on the cluster itself.

Speaking of which, if you swap clusters, can the local chevy dealer update the mileage on it to reflect the correct one?

·
Ultimate Impala Guru!
5,481 Posts
Mileage is in the cluster...and ONLY in the cluster. The PCM has no idea (no clue whatsoever) how many miles are on the car.

You can have a new/different cluster reprogrammed to match your true mileage by any reputable speedo repair shop. Dealer may or may not be able to do it, and even if they "can" what they are likely doing is sending it to that same speedo repair shop and charging you extra $$$ (beyond what you'd pay going to the speedo repair shop) for the service ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow that's good info....that makes me wonder wut parts of the drivetrain are original and if anything was rebuilt or not. Seeing that 200k plus on the cluster just makes me wanna do a complete overhaul...appreciate all yall

·
Registered
149 Posts
You can have a new/different cluster reprogrammed to match your true mileage by any reputable speedo repair shop. Dealer may or may not be able to do it, and even if they "can" what they are likely doing is sending it to that same speedo repair shop and charging you extra $$$ (beyond what you'd pay going to the speedo repair shop) for the service ;)
Thanks AutocroSSer. That was exactly the information I was hoping to hear!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts