Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
If the trans is having problems and "all it needs..." then the seller needs to do that "simple" repair before putting it on the market. Cars that are "mint" don't have an "all it needs" qualifier. I have owned a '73 Cutlass Supreme with the 350/350 combo and my TH350 gave up at 47,000mi, It is the weak link and you can bet the one is this wagon is about to go boom before too many miles.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tranny on the VC has already almost doubled the miles on your 350/350 combo. Don't think you could predict the failure of a car just biased off of your one personal experience.

The cars a 1970 and in my opinion qualifies as "mint" since we're splitting hairs. Meaning for the year- the "like new" or "original" condition.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
It's your money, but I wouldn't touch that car without building a transmission rebuild into the purchase price. "Mint" means perfect, not nice shape for the year. It is a nice desirable wagon, but the trans is the weak link as are most OEM TH350's of those years. And yes, I think personal experience is a good measure for predicting results.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
The cars a 1970 and in my opinion qualifies as "mint" since we're splitting hairs. Meaning for the year- the "like new" or "original" condition.
It's not "mint" or "like new" if there are areas where rust is bubbling up under paint. That can be indicative of a potentially larger issue, particularly when it's happening around glass. Looks like this car has some issues that are bigger than the transmission.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I also said original, but you conveniently left that out. For an almost fifty year old car, with that low of miles, in that condition, and for that asking price- it's a deal. Considering all of that, I'd still consider mint, no matter what you vocabulary Nazi's say.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
That's about 15 minutes from me. I would call it pretty clean but I agree, mint is stretching it. Unless you are talking about the color.:) In my book mint would mean not needing fender and roof repair and carpet replacement. Not to mention the huge holes now in the rear area where the speakers are. BUT, fix those issues, put a ram air hood on it and have a cool cruiser.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I also said original, but you conveniently left that out. For an almost fifty year old car, with that low of miles, in that condition, and for that asking price- it's a deal. Considering all of that, I'd still consider mint, no matter what you vocabulary Nazi's say.
Mint is mint, regardless of whether it's an unmolested original or not. A "mint" car has no rust what-so-ever. This car has what should be some very concerning rust.

eBay said:
...there is some bubbling on passenger side of skylight it's not soft it's solid, it's been repaired once my guess is they treated some rust and then put filler over it and it's bubbling, the guy I bought it from said it was done about 15 years ago along with the repaint...
It's OK to get excited about a car. Just don't get over excited about it and then get upset when people call out its flaws.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts