Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 95 9c1 as a project car. I had a mechanic replace the head gasket, exhaust manifold gasket, and sprak plugs. He told me cylinder #5 had low compression and misfire. The car runs great excluding the misfire. I seafoamed the the the engine a couple of days ago. I changed the the oil(10w30) and plugs (Champion)again today. When I looked at the cylinder #5 plug, it seem to have of bunch of carbon buildup on it. Which mean the injector works but the gas isn't being combust...Right? The car isn't bad on gas, that's why suspected the injector. I'd appreciate the help thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
low compression is low compression....trouble shoot that, hopefully its not a damaged block

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
How do you toubleshoot low compression?
first start by doing a compression test and finding out how bad, it could be a head gaskit, it could be the head. could be a ring.

chances are if its a single cylnder its a exgst vavle..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If its the exhaust valve, could it be due to carbon build up. If I took the vavle cover off could I tell if it's the valve?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also notice I had oil near the throttle body when I was expecting it yesterday. I also noticed a gas smell while driving to work this morning which means it running rich...Right? Or could it be lean?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Gas smell means running rich, or misfiring horribly.

Again, I will ask, how did you KNOW the head gasket was bad? Or did you just take someones word for it?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another thing that came to my attention. My car doesn't smoke. When piston rings need to be replaced, you will get smoke out the exhaust. I don't have that so the exhaust vlv on the head could be the issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts