Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Going to replace control arms (loaded), tie rods, center link

Can't find the Moog Left Upper # CK620158 but found everything else Moog "problem solver" pieces

I did find the equivalent AC Delco L upper along with some other brands on rockauto

any issues in "mixing" brands??

I would think not but LMK if you feel otherwise

and also isn't there a lower spring isolator for front springs?

I found uppers, not lower isolators

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts

·
Registered
8,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks JR

$ is same as rockauto so yeah good on that

Assuming the 148 units the site has is for "both" uppers and not 148 R side :)

My search did not turn up MAC auto parts

Our B-bodys parts avail is declining but given the quantity of years and model platforms these arms are for...I would think they would still be widely available

I noticed slight inner tire wear on RF. My control arms, tie rods, center link have 130k mi on them. Not really seeing any ball joint movement with the "pry tire while a arm is on jack" but assume their 21 year lifespan is nearing a end

Certainly alignment may need some attention but my "gut meter" says these front end parts have seen most, if not all, of their service life

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Moog keeps on selling out on I believe the left side. I had to wait 2 months back in January before they got back in stock then I got all 4 and replaced them.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
The only difference between the brands may be the overall life expectancy.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
I think you should be fine with the upper control arms being different brands. The only thing I would verify is that both use the same cross shaft. I think Moog uses one that has "wheel side" stamped on the shaft. IIRC it's because these shafts are slightly offset from the original. Maybe Bill will see this and chime in on the specifics.

On the isolators....yes only on top for the front springs. But I don't like the flat piece of rubber used there. Check my 5/8" BAlljoint thread for info on the GM truck isolator that can be used instead. I have part numbers there and used to have pics too before Photobucket acted like Dicks and changed their rules.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
While I'm still learning much here. (I learn almost every day here) Anyway, I would have questions about the difference between parts on two different brands. What about the ball joints and then the bushings in the cross shafts? Looking just at RA there are many different types of bushings. As I said, I'm learning but when I found out more about quality of parts I returned some Duralast steering parts and ordered all MOOG. I could very well be wrong here or over thinking this but I would go with one brand. I searched the part numbers listed on the Mac link above. The first was a GM and then the second was a MOOG. Since there was no real brand name mentioned I would be concerned with the source. Just my thoughts on this.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
8,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I searched the part numbers listed on the Mac link above. The first was a GM and then the second was a MOOG. Since there was no real brand name mentioned I would be concerned with the source. Just my thoughts on this.

Mark: Snowman-33
yeah there is no mention of Moog being the "brand" on the Mac site. Also I am looking for the "CK" (premium aka Problem Solver) not the "RK" (economy).

rockauto has everything but the upper L now in the "CK". It does have the economy RK Moog

Chill notes he had to wait until stock returned for L side arms

I am not in a uber rush as the originals currently don't show any movement...they are just about the only remaining original parts on the car so at some point will need replacing

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
yeah there is no mention of Moog being the "brand" on the Mac site. Also I am looking for the "CK" (premium aka Problem Solver) not the "RK" (economy).
[SNIP]

If you want, I've got two Moog K5208 Ball Joint (Problem Solver) unused at my house.

PM if interested for an inexpensive buy.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Roger I also recommend the truck/van isolators. They are a better fit and very durable.
Yeah, those are great. It's what I used in my install recently.

·
Registered
8,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
[SNIP]

If you want, I've got two Moog K5208 Ball Joint[/URL] (Problem Solver) unused at my house.

PM if interested for an inexpensive buy.
thanks...but I want loaded arms.

As Chillin notes the parts go in/out of stock.

I will call Mac to see if they can confirm if the Moog ones they list are in fact the "Problem Solver" line of Moog arms or just the economy line of Moog, which RA currently has for the DS upper

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I think you should be fine with the upper control arms being different brands. The only thing I would verify is that both use the same cross shaft. I think Moog uses one that has "wheel side" stamped on the shaft. IIRC it's because these shafts are slightly offset from the original. Maybe Bill will see this and chime in on the specifics.

On the isolators....yes only on top for the front springs. But I don't like the flat piece of rubber used there. Check my 5/8" BAlljoint thread for info on the GM truck isolator that can be used instead. I have part numbers there and used to have pics too before Photobucket acted like Dicks and changed their rules.
Roger I also recommend the truck/van isolators. They are a better fit and very durable. Here is a pic and part #

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
IDK where you get them from. They don't seem to be available anymore. I couldn't find any a few months back. I ordered from several dealers who cancelled my order after the fact because the part wasn't available anymore. I did fine ONE on ebay....which was kind of worthless.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
thanks...but I want loaded arms.

As Chillin notes the parts go in/out of stock.

I will call Mac to see if they can confirm if the Moog ones they list are in fact the "Problem Solver" line of Moog arms or just the economy line of Moog, which RA currently has for the DS upper
Yes I understand completely, I'm saying if you buy the arms, and they do not have the problem solvers, I have them and you can R&R them.

Mine are in storage, and I doubt I'll be getting another B-Body to install them in anytime soon, therefore I'll let them go inexpensively if you would like do make the swap in the arms you buy.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Well damn, looks like the GM isolator I mentioned is now a discontinued part. The blue isolator I used was readily available at the time and dealer had it next day. I believe they are also polyuerethane or should say "were".

If you are replacing all the ball joints, consider getting GM nuts to replace the Moog nuts. Part numbers here....

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/17-suspension/351769-my-5-8-bj-install-pics-tips-part-s.html

...if the pictures were still there you would see why this is money well spent. The GM nuts fit the Moog joints but are much larger and just a little piece of mind while you got things apart.

I have a lot of threads I need to update with new picture links just not enough energy to sit and do that yet.

·
Registered
8,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I get the shape of the GM blue one would seem to set better up in the upper arm pocket vs the standard "flat" one would

With that said the Moog one for 2003 Astro would appear to be the same....unless the GM "blue" ones are made of some different rubber compound

Given the GM blue is N/A....I am sure the Moog one will be fine

So far the 21 year old stock flat isolator has done its job...

On the ball joint nuts on the Moog "problem solver" arms...IDK if they are smaller but will compare to the ones on the car now.

IDK if they are single use nuts but if not I could re-use them if I feel, after comparing them to Moog, they are of any benefit

1 - 20 of 38 Posts