Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I searched and only found one thread on the subject with no answer.

I have vogtlands and love the ride and loved the stance with 17s but I have 18s in the front and 20s in the back and I think the front sits to high now. I got some intrax springs with half a coil cut and would like to throw them up front to really slam it.

Does anyone know if there will be any adverse effects from throwing these in? Should I get drop shocks ? Or will my low mileage bilstiens hold up? If these are ill advised, does anyone know of some springs that will drop the front a bit more then the vogtlands and let me keep my bilstiens and vogtlands in the back (navy lifer?)

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
If there is "no" wheel travel left, the ride you "love" now may very well be left in the section of spring coil you tossed in the scrap metal bin.

The less static wheel travel remaining, the stiffer the spring needs to be--what bump stops, if any, are installed on the (front) lower control arms now?

Stay with the Bilstein shock as long as bump stops are in use. If you decide to eliminate the bump stops to get the car lower, only then would a shorter shock be something to consider.

This isn't directly on topic, but I felt it appropriate to put it out there--no one has ever stepped up and made a "lowering" spindle/knuckle that only drops 1" instead of 2" for cars using the GM "tall spindle". The theory behind lowering spindles is that wheel travel can be preserved, so the ride (and handling) isn't destroyed even though the vehicle sits significantly lower. The 2" drop spindle can create too many problems in the real world, because it's typically done in conjunction with a short spring to radically "slam" the car--which puts the upper control arm outside of it's normal range of travel--often resulting in destruction of the upper ball joint. It also creates an excessive camber gain situation as the wheels move upward--alignment and tire wear issues can result.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan to install zq8 bumpstops when I install the springs. So, as long as I verify that the control arms aren't sitting on the bumpstops I should be good? As far as I know the intrax are a higher spring rate because they are a big drop for these cars already so they should only be stiffer when cut down.

Im working with a guy that has some fabrication skills so ill talk to him about modifying a spindle for a one inch drop so up can maybe retain my vogtlands. I'll post my results when I'm done

Thanks for the input!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts