Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
For my LT1('94) i have headers and the regular OEM A/C lines (below) would be hitting the headers. I did buy a GM offset raised face compressor block to connect to my Denso 471-9169 compressor and 2 -45 degree fittings to build a custom hose set up. found out the Suction fitting directly under the #2 Cyl. header tube can only be angled down, any other position and it hits the header tube. the Discharge fitting is kinda ok but would like to see it at a 90 degree angle. Has any of you run into this problem and what was your fix? As far as the OEM a/c lines, was there maybe an alternate already made a/c line that you used that worked as well? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hi All,
For my LT1('94) i have headers and the regular OEM A/C lines (below) would be hitting the headers. I did buy a GM offset raised face compressor block to connect to my Denso 471-9169 compressor and 2 -45 degree fittings to build a custom hose set up. found out the Suction fitting directly under the #2 Cyl. header tube can only be angled down, any other position and it hits the header tube. the Discharge fitting is kinda ok but would like to see it at a 90 degree angle. Has any of you run into this problem and what was your fix? As far as the OEM a/c lines, was there maybe an alternate already made a/c line that you used that worked as well? Thanks in advance!

What headers are you runnin?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
HOOKERS, For an 84 ELCAMINO, Thanks
Why not invest in some Clear Image tri -y headers that are made for your car? Tye will fit without messing with everything else

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sorry all, i should probably state in every thread/post what i have before i ask my questions, yea, i did do it in my intro, but this is an Impala forum so i'm like a unicorn, my bad. they are long tube hookers if the long tube make a difference.

Thanks
'84 El Camino w/ an LT1(from a '94 Caprice) and a 4L60E

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
OP

Given your hybrid application do what you have to do to route AC lines away from headers and suspension conflicts. On a B body we typically just need to bend, by hand, them away and or just wrap them with heat wrap with B body specific headers for the LT1.

Having any header ceramic coated will do a lot to reduce engine bay temps and protect items near headers from excessive heat

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OP

Given your hybrid application do what you have to do to route AC lines away from headers and suspension conflicts. On a B body we typically just need to bend, by hand, them away and or just wrap them with heat wrap with B body specific headers for the LT1.

Having any header ceramic coated will do a lot to reduce engine bay temps and protect items near headers from excessive heat
Hi BALLSS,
Routing doesnt look like a problem i do have enough space to keep the hoses away from the headers and yea, i saw that i would probably need to go ahead and wrap at least that #2 cyl header tube. but my problem lies with that fitting hitting that tube. there's only one position that the 45 degree fitting sits and that is down, when i need it to angle off toward the fender well. the BL1313 is my suction side which i am having the clearance problem with. the tubing needs to be a couple inches longer between the nut and the crimp sleeve then angled towards the fender well. the BL1312 is my Discharge... this is kinda ok but i would like to have it better angled more. Oh, i found when doing the engine swap i noticed the Caprice is 3" wider than the elky from eng(OEM LT1 exhaust header) distance to frame.

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
I would not wrap any header tube, just wrap the AC line if its close. Vibrant Performance makes split loom heat tubing (fiberglass matt/foil) in various widths in 4' lengths. I get mine from Summit

If you can't find an off the shelf AC line that works, get one made up at any car AC shop if you can't find ay adapters to make what you have work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would not wrap any header tube, just wrap the AC line if its close. Vibrant Performance makes split loom heat tubing (fiberglass matt/foil) in various widths in 4' lengths. I get mine from Summit

If you can't find an off the shelf AC line that works, get one made up at any car AC shop if you can't find ay adapters to make what you have work.
Ah! i see, ok, thanks

there are A/C / fabrication shops around here but the thing is if they fabricate , they want big$$$. Going to an A/C place after work today and see if they can help with either fabrication or if they have something on the shelf. A few years ago i went to a machine shop/store and was quoted $65 on just one fuel line fitting for them to fabricate. Went to another machine shop/store and got all the fittings w/ hoses i needed for less than $150.00, the guy suggested a barbed fitting setup for the H.P. fuel lines and was very helpful. So, it depends on where i go because some just give you that "i dont want to help you price" . so that's why i was just asking everyone here that had headers if the A/C fittings was a problem for them and what did they use.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
He said he has an '84 El Camino w/ an LT1(from a '94 Caprice) and a 4L60E in the other thread.

Mike--94MSP9C1
Opps my bad. I am sorry for the confusion on my part.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i didnt have the chance to go to the A/C place yesterday... going today. when i got home last night i decided to try again to see if my old set of LT1 lines that i kept would work, i took off the fittings and the block and then tried hooking it up OEM style. I tried a few times in the past but nothing. this time i tried to make them fit. i got my tube bender on the Suction side and started bending lightly , seemed like i was clearing the header but i couldnt bend the end of the tubing(where it connects to the hose) towards the fenderwell. I'm bring my fittings, the block and my old set of LT1 lines to the A/C place and see if they can figure out what would be the best alternative. of course, if they say they can work the old LT1 lines i'll buy a new set and let them have at it. What i noticed is the Discharge hose isnt long enough to reach my new fitting coming out of the condenser...so, IDK, if a new set of lines will work, that means i would need to cut off the new hose( i have 3ft of each D and S side hoses) and replace it with a longer one that reaches to the new fitting. and then cut a few inches off the Suction going to the accumulator... basically chopping up a new set of lines, UGG!.. oh what fun!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, i am back to square one. i went to a local A/C place, a hydraulic machine shop and Napa. The actual owner of the A/C place who would supposedly know my problem and could help wasnt available friday and saturday...only his workers who didnt know much was there. The Hydraulic shop came up with options on how to fabricate my OEM lines with fittings, but there was jus to many points where there would be poss. future leaks. Napa helped with some different fittings for my coldhose compressor block but nothing worked. I told the Napa guy i originally needed the coldhose.com HP6006 swivel but the coldhose rep. said that wouldnt fit, it was an oring type, mine is the flat sealing washer type.
just went to aircomponents.com, called, talked to Dennis,. just ordered the swivel PN234-209. we'll see how this goes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Back when I had my LT1, had the same issue. Kept blowing line, either against header or control arm. Some hoses lasted months, one lasted a day lol. Got tired of it and went to an A/C shop and had these made. At the back of the compressor, he cut the stock line and fitting and pretty much hooked it up to what you see here. I had Clear Image gen 2 tri-y at the time
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive fuel system
Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Gas

White Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive design Electric blue

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
never thought of going that route, but i guess when your options are limited anything goes. Sounds like you dont have this anymore but after you went this way how long did this set up work for?

·
Registered
774 Posts
I just had the hose get rubbed through on my '94 Caprice wagon. I put braided steel sheath over heat wrap over an AC Delco brand hose several years ago, and it lasted until my trip to Florida last week. Previously, I used several off-brand hoses, and they would fail due to heat from the ceramic coated tri-Y headers. So I went with AC Delco and it stool up to the heat, but the first one got rubbed through by the control arm. So I figured the second one, with the braided steel sheath, would have been good to go long term, but apparently not so much. It, too, got rubbed through by the control arm. I hadn't checked it since not long after installing as I assumed it was fine, which is my bad.

Point from this being, buy the AC Delco hose, not the off-brand cheaper ones, as it should be less susceptible to engine bay heat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yea , heat and rubbing will definitely reduce the life span. Adding the heat wraps, etc. is also a must. i got my hoses from coldhose.com along with the fittings, i know i checked the stamping on the hoses when i got them and seemed to be of good quality, cant remember exactly the name of them, but i just checked their site and they claim #6,8 and 10 hoses are the
Goodyear Galaxy 4860 Reduced Barrier Hose

I'll check to confirm what i got when i get home. my aircomponents.com swivel is on the way, ETD is Saturday 13th. $83 plus $12 shipping :($$$.

• Helpful
Reactions: IndyL03
1 - 20 of 24 Posts