Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got bored so I decided to try my hand at making a trunk kit. Very time consuming so far, but gonna be worth it. Thinking I am going to use black carpet since I'm leaving the black trunk mat in. Also going to add doors to the sides and move the battery into one if it will fit. Already ordered a 4ft white led to mount along the back and wire into the factory trunk light. Thinking about adding some red ones for show and in the storage area. A cover for the trunk lid is in the future as well. These are all just held in by pressure so far. I will look for a few places to mount with hardware once the carpets on. Let me know what ya think or if ya got any ideas.

Started with some cardboard to get a ruff idea. Still had to make adjustments 3 or 4 times.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
:eek: good work!

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
interior

Looks good u should start selling them.
Paul.

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
Looking clean!!!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Well Done.................PM SENT

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. This car is my addiction. I just can't help but work on it. After looking at the pics for awhile and sleeping on it I have a few more ideas. I am trying to think of something to use for a tire cover that is plastic and can be painted. I'm wondering if a plastic 50gal drum would be large enough? I want to mount it the the board on the back. That will take a little more thinking and searching for something to use.
Thanks 1phastss for the links! Got some great ideas for how to secure it all down.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Thanks 1phastss for the links! Got some great ideas for how to secure it all down.
PM me an email, and I can send you some more stuff & images as well to get a better understanding

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
237 Posts
trunk

for making the round pc use card board as a base and then cover with matt fiberglass. (sears sells a repair kit with enough glass and resin to do it.Then put a light coat of bondo,
sand ,prime and paint or cover with carpet.It is amazing what shapes you can make this way.
Enjoy the build Skip

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Hey I did the same thing...

Actually, no I didn't - Scott did...

But I did make the board around the tire and added emblems

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Uwsacf, trunk looks great! Hack does awesome work and that's what inspired me to try my hand at one. I am a DIY'er whenever possible. I seen somone in the for sale section say Hack was done making them. Not sure if this is true or not but if so I might have to make and extra and see if there's an intrest. I'm off work Monday and hope to make some good progress on my trunk kit then. Pics will be up as soon as I move forward. All the compliments are really motivating me on this project, thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just looked at your pics again and had a question. Is there a reason the doors are hinged in the back vs the front? I had planned to hinge mine on the front (side closer to spare) for ease of loading and unloading compartments.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Another option would be to have the doors swing up, and lock in place. Mold in some cup holders at the lower corners when closed (would make nice cup holders / counter top) to use at tail gate / car shows.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
The best way would be hinges on the bottom, door swings down.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im thinking this will be the new home for my battery. Planning on makeing a battery tie down bracket to the back of the seat. The new battery fit in the side compartment like I had originally planned but would have filled the one side pretty quickly. It will be a little more difficult to access in the top back but don't really need to get at it that often. Plus that space would have been just wasted anyways.

Also thinking of adding a battery cut off switch somewhere on the car. Figure this will be nice for car shows to keep the lights from draining the battery. Just need to find a good spot for one. Also need to search the junkyards/internet for a remote battery terminal for under the hood. Dont want the battery dieing and being stuck in the trunk. LOL
Hopefully have some time Monday to do some more work on the trunk but I have a starting issue that is taking priority right now. Keep ya posted.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts