Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amazon warns these will NOT fit my 94 RML, but I think I saw somewhere on this forum they WILL work.

Can anyone advise me?

Monroe 550012 Severe Service Shock Absorber

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes. They fit and they are GREAT!!! 550013 for the back ones. Get front and rear...cross reference through Ebay or Autozone, Discount Auto, etc.. For some dumb reason they say they don't fit but when you type in Caprice they say its good...Who cares..I have them and they fit perfect..Did it myself of course..

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried O'Reilly, Autozone and Ebay, and either they do not list it or it reads not compatible. I think it is because this if for the Caprice Police suspension, and its extended length may be too short to meet specs on a Roadmaster, because of the spring height difference.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Nice firm ride. Definitely recommend.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I don't like them, too firm. I'm running lower profile tires 275/40/17 so it may contribute some to the firmness.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I like mine, not too firm but great control, still want to switch to Bilsteins when money allows. Have had Koni, KYB and Bilsteins among other brands on my cars and love the Bilstein feel.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I tried O'Reilly, Autozone and Ebay, and either they do not list it or it reads not compatible. I think it is because this if for the Caprice Police suspension, and its extended length may be too short to meet specs on a Roadmaster, because of the spring height difference.
I had them installed on the front and back. They are much firmer, especially in the front. They are kinda rough on bad roads but I dealt with it for a few years. The fronts shocks eventually became floaty at higher speeds so, I installed a full set of factory AC Delco shocks for a smoother ride. The rear shocks do extend farther than the Monroe's by an inch or so. The only thing I miss about the Monroe's is the lack of body roll when compared to the softer AC Delcos. I'm going with Bilsteins next time. They should offer the best of both worlds...firm but not harsh.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts