Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local shops offer decent pricing for monroes installed, but have different models. Which ones are good for a bit more "spirited driving"?
The sensatracs or severe duty's?Or even something totally different?
Its for a 95 RMW with grand touring suspension,
Thanks,
Frank

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There is a third option (sort of). I went with the Severe Service shocks all around, but I got the cargo coil overs for the rear. They work great so far... :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the Gabriel version of the coil assist severe service. Love the ride! Even when loaded with all my gear.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by jayoldschool:
There is a third option (sort of). I went with the Severe Service shocks all around, but I got the cargo coil overs for the rear. They work great so far... :D
Did this on my black wagon & mother's gold wagon. I love 'em w/Hotchkiss bars on mine & she has not complained (which means she likes them). I think the factory air shocks suck at anything other than keeping the @ss end off the ground (have them in dk cherry wagon & blk sedan) but we did put severe service in the fronts of those cars. All cars have the ZQ8 bumps up front now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If your getting Monroe's, the severe service shocks are the best for 'spirited driving'.

IMO, The Bilstiens are still better though, not sure if they are out of your pricerange.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I must say I like my Sensa Trac shocks. I don't hot-rod the car all that much, and I don't have high expectations for handling out of it. The shocks do provide a nice ride and certainly improved handling over the worn shocks I replaced.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You will notice improved handling if you replace the air shocks with 'real' shocks. If you want to keep the load-carrying capacity go for Airlifts from Summit.

Monroe Severe Service are by far the best if all you can get is Monroe.

KYB GasAJust are second only to the Bilsteins for controlled ride and are not as harsh as the SS.

If you have the budget, you can't get better than the Bilstein HD shocks.

There are lots of threads on the merits of each if you use Search.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the sensatracs. The local shop had them in stock and honestly, anything stiffer would suck on the beat up roads around here. Glad i didn't go with Bilsteins, even with the snows mounted (as in very soft) the front is pretty stiff now.
Finally the late apex/trailbraking works again...

Thanks for all the advice!

Frank

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.