Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I've installed a Monte Carlo steering wheel with radio controls on my 1995 Caprice wagon. The problem is the air bag light stays on. Has this happened to anyone else? I've been on the fourm for years and I've never seen anyone mention this. Any help or advise is appreciated.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Sounds like an issue with the air bag wiring or an issues the clock spring. Perhaps something did not get connected(under the dash or at the air bag itself). If the wire for the air bag was spliced together then there may be an issue with one of the splices. Whatever you do, DO NOT probe the wires as doing so could set the air bag off(when connected), and that would be bad. You can unplug the air bag and unplug the under dash connector and probe the wires that way. But as I said DO NOT probe the wires when the air bag is connected and DEFINITELY DO NOT probe the air bag. - Peter

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Broken (circuits in the) clock spring gets my vote!

I recently had put in a leather wrapped steering wheel from a 1995 Pontiac Grand Am in my '95 9C1. I did this b/c I wanted a smaller overall diameter than the typical Monte Carlo wheel and a working airbag.

Before I put the Pontiac wheel I too had an airbag light. My mechanic installed a new clock spring along with the steering wheel. And as soon as the new clock spring was plugged in the light went out.

Man those clock springs are expensive around $190 at mechanics price from the dealer.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I ended up doing ...

Thanks for the advise. I had to take my cluster out to try and repair it. While it was out I pulled the airbag light out. Not exactly the right way to fix the problem but the light is finally out.

As for the cluster, the fix didn't work. I may end up getting a z28 cluster from Bob.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts