Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For steering linkage sidle to spindle...Proforged comes in one complete package. Those of you who have used either, what has been your experience?

·
Registered
8,024 Posts
Never used ProForge. All those of us using Moog PS seldom have reason to switch.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Don't think you can go wrong with either but prefer Moog. I did use a Proforged kit years ago only due to a Group Purchase that was going on here at the time. The pricing was right and so were their reviews.

Then years later when upgrading to 5/8" Balljoints, I decided to replace everything again and went with all Moog parts that time. The Proforged pieces still seemed to be fine but just decided to go all new Moog again while things were apart. I did keep the center link and idler arm and just replaced tie rods and Balljoints with Moog parts and GM hardware.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you...I have not heard anything bad about either. The only difference that I can determine is that the Proforged is powder-coated black

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Wow, I've been way out of the loop. I went with Pro Forged back when they were still PPM and the idler arm was a very nice piece. The Moog "problem solver" was seriously beefy, a noticeably more robust casting than the factory part, and was still going strong on my 94 many miles after all the other parts store brands I tried wore out.

I have heard complaints about certain Moog parts being outsourced now, quality slipping etc.. but I don't know if this is true with all Moog parts, some, or if it has been rectified. I remember years back when one brand would be good for years, now it seems like brands switch manufacturing plants so often and outsource to different places that you never know on a year to year basis what you'll be getting quality control wise.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Moog has different product lines. When ordering parts go for the Problem Solver line because it is their premium product. The lesser products are cheap, Chinese crap.

I bought all of my PS parts from Rock Auto last year, all US made and all very high quality.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've used both Moog Problem Solver and Proforged, no issues with either.
Just pointing out Proforged still offers the tall upper ball joint if that's of interest to you.

Jim

·
Registered
486 Posts
To tell the difference with moog product lines, the "problem solver" stuff normally has a K in the part number, the cheaper chinese line usually has an R in the part number. At least that's been my experience since they started introducing it. In some cases I've also seen them discontinue K parts after the R product line came into existence, but not anything on our b-bodies. I've only seen that so far on some other stuff I've worked on.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
For steering linkage sidle to spindle...Proforged comes in one complete package. Those of you who have used either, what has been your experience?

I replaced the idler arm moog back in 1997 .. brought the 96 Imp to dealership they put it on lift the idler arm moved more than 1/8 inch up/down they said that is normal I said that is B/S.. I have the GM manual and showed them the test procedure.. they said screw you.. I said good by azzhole..

put the Moog idler arm on 1997 and it is still on .. no problems ..

a few years ago I had to replace my trucks GM inner tie rod well the Moog tie rod did not hold up .. so I got another one free warranty and still good..
possible manufacturing defect on the tie rod ..

I do grease my vehicles in the fall and in the spring .
my 1983 sedan I did have to replace a good amount of steering parts Moog and that was at 250K miles .. all those parts worked good till I sold it at 375K miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts