Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

rear springs in the cappy are gone to hell, uneven sagging. decided on cargo springs from MOOG after researching the forum, but that leaves me with 1 question: MOOG CC505 or MOOG CC627 or MOOG CC???. I know it all comes down to preference, however any opinions are greatly appreciated, i would like the car to ride a bit on the stiff side (aka less body roll) hopefully picking up a rear swaybar which will help too, but untill then gotta pick the springs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hank I didn't get it back yet. The fella's had to leave to attend a wake. I will have it tomorrow afternoon. If it's not to late I'll call you to see were you are. I think its going to need a stiffer shock than the Gabriel Ultra to slow the extension. I gotta feel it out when I get it back.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
From squinting at you 100 pixel high photos it looks like you have a sedan. A signature block listing your car and mods will help others help you.

Anyhow, CC505 springs would not be appropriate on a sedan. They would be much too high and much too firm. Some have run the CC507s but they are very firm for a sedan. They do make great wagon springs though. If you are dead seat on cargo coils (variable rate) then the cc627s are ok.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well im not dead nuts set on cargo coils, having never ridden in a car with them i dont know, from what i understand the stock springs are variable rate to an extent. i just want it to ride firmer, i got new Monroe shocks that i'm installing as well, as parts stores tell me the MOOG CC621 are the correct replacement... but i want beyond stock replacement if ya understand what i'm trying to say

http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MOOG-CC621

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
well im not dead nuts set on cargo coils, having never ridden in a car with them i dont know, from what i understand the stock springs are variable rate to an extent. i just want it to ride firmer, i got new Monroe shocks that i'm installing as well, as parts stores tell me the MOOG CC621 are the correct replacement... but i want beyond stock replacement if ya understand what i'm trying to say

http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MOOG-CC621
Stock definitely not variable compared to the cargo coil. I had then in my 82. Later reused them for a while in the 91. They're good depending on what you are looking for. The 82 was just ever so dropping if any. The CCs did bring it up a bit, 2 inches maybe. When the 91 had the stock FE1 springs, I didn't like how high the back sat. Two clamps on each rear spring fixed that. It pretty much effectively ended up at the same height as the SS springs I have there now.
The 82 was never set up or intended as a handler. Was my weekend night Manhattan car back in the day. When you have some nice steel bumpers, they don't try to bully you, or lose when they do :)
When I gave up the 82, I kept the springs and then ran them in the 91. Rode nice but didn't have to worry about any dips as it stiffened up real quick. Tried the soft rear bilstein's, DID NOT like it. Blamed the shock. Sat on the shelf for years. Worked well with Monroe SS's. Thing I didn't like was that it was sitting high again. Ended heating up the coils (I know but it was a quick try that actually lasted for quite a while and worked out well) and got it back down to about Impala height.
Good ride, can haul a lot of sh.t. but, not the best for handling where you want a quick response. Were fine for long sweeping turns but not for darting in and out of traffic. There a linear spring works better IMHO.
Eventually found some low mile RJ springs (9C1) that worked very nice, but again sat a little higher then I wanted. Later found the SS springs and still have them. A couple of years ago started getting a clunking, sounded like the shocks. (turned out to be the heat shield above the muffler and at the gas tank rusted loose enough not to see). So popped in the bilstein's thinking the monroe's were the cause. Haven't taken then out since. LOVE'M with those springs. I guess since they are better matched to the rate of the SS/RJ springs, they work better. On the CC, they don't have enough rebound control when you compress the spring that hard.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i may have been known to zip in and out of traffic perhaps... i haul my atv on the trailer every now and then, even with stock sagging springs its not bad, i dont know about trying to buy used ss springs though...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts