Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, that's BackSpacing, not the other....

I have a 1995 Caprice Wagon.

I have found American Racing Torque Thrust 2's at http://www.wheelsforless.com for around $235 each. My plan is to run:

- 17x7 fronts with 225/55-17 Kumho STX tires
- 17x8 rears with 255/55-17 Kumho STX tires

The 7" wide wheels are available with 4" BS, while the 8" comes in either 4" or 5".... I'm assuming 4" is OK for the front, and 5" for the rear?

If anyone can comment on this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Jon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, those backspacings are correct (4" on 17x7" rim, 5" on 17x8" rim) for a wagon.

Be aware that with those specific tire sizes, your ABS most likely will NOT work properly afterwards (different tire diameters). However, if you kept that front tire size and ran a 255/50R17 in back it would work.

Also, the STX is not much of a "performance" tire.....hell, it's intended for TRUCKS! I'd seriously think about getting the Kumho Ectsa KH11 for the front tire and Kumho Ecsta 712 for the rear tire. You'll spend about the same $$$, but end up with better tires on the car. Then just run a dedicated snow tire (on your stock rims) in the winter if it is a year-round driver....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OOPS!!!

I did mean 255/50-17!! But thanks for pointing it out....

And, yes, they ARE a truck tire, but a "performance" one, at least. My biggest concern with the tires is that they have a decent load rating, the STX in a 255/50-17 is rated at 1811 lbs. Co-incidentally, so is the Kumho Ecsta Supra in the same size, but the smaller front Ecsta size isn't available. The next closest is 235/45-17, which is a little too short/wide and would probably look unbalanced with the rears, not to mention it's a little low on load rating. The STX is around 1600lbs. Adequate for what I plan to do with a load distributing hitch.

Thanks for the replies. Any other first hand experience and opinions on how it'll look would be appreciated.

Oh, I plan to use the Caprice as a truck, anyhow, to tow my CRX roadracer, on a small open trailer.

Thanks,

Jon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Ecsta KH11 is a brand new tire (and one that I suspect will have more sizes in the near future), and it is also rated for 1609 lbs in 225/55R17. In other words, you'd be giving up exactly NONE of that load capability with the tires I listed, but get better handling tires for about the same money in return.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those DO look like good tires. Cheap, too!!

Too bad they don't have a rear tire for me!!

I really don't want to mix and match front and rear tires, if for no other reason than looks.

Thanks for the heads up, though.

J

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just for clarification.....

What's the backspacing on a stock Impala SS 8.5" wheel?? Perhaps that's my best starting point tp determine the correct offset for my wheels.

Thanks all,

Jon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stock SS wheels have the following dimensions
</font>
  • 17x8.5"</font>
  • 5.06" backspacing</font>
  • +6mm (+0.25") offset</font>
  • 5x5" bolt pattern</font>
  • 78mm wheel hub diameter (I THINK this one is right, not sure though...)</font>
That said : I'll reiterate what I said above (because, well, it's correct given the choices available
). For a 17x7" rim, get 4" backspacing ("ideal" would be 4.25"). For a 17x8" rim, get 5" backspacing ("ideal" would be 4.75").

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Ed!!

I suppose my other choice is to go with 17x8's all around, and get 255/50-17 Kumho's(712's) for all four corners.

Probabyl a more common setup, would allow me to rotate tires, etc.

What about tracking problems on uneven pavement? I know there's enough people running 275's....

Thanks again,

Jon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It'll track more with wider tires. I'm fine with it (run 275s on front now, have had 285s in the past) but it bothers the hell out of others. Pretty much a personal preference, IMHO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.