Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one cost me a total of about 10 bucks. :cool:

I had a 1LE elbow that was attached to this chrome CAI pipe with a filter that sat on the PCM in the corner of the engine bay, and it really was pretty tacky. SOOO I followed rare96's advice and took a trip to my local Ace hardware and fixed the issue.

The tube brand and P/N for those interested... just a 3"-3" sewer pipe adapter.

Drilled for the IAC sensor...

Drilled for the opti vent tube...

I had some of the right wire left over from another LT1 swap to extend the mass air wiring...

Wires soldiered, heatshrinked, and re-covered... (looks stock doesn't it
)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wiring for mass air ran over and connected properly...

Front shot all finished up...

Side shot...

Overall I think it looks great, and you can't beat the price. I took all the pics that I did incase others would like to go this route without spending alot of money. I'd love the RAISS, but for now this'll do much nicer on the pocketbook. Let me know what you guys think!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How the heck did you get that 3" to 3" Fernco to seal?!? I've got the exact same one and it fits extremely loosely on the Maf. :confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
once I snugged the clamp up around the mass air sensor it was fine. I was skeptical at first, but it worked out just fine once I got it all on and tightened up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
- I've done this also. I fabbed a simple aluminum bracket that mounts to the fan brace and supports the front of the filter. Worked great until I installed an F_body MAF, which is long enough to prevent a fit. A shorter K&N would fix that.

For the time being, I'm back to the sewer pipe.

I like the symmetry of this look, but the car runs better with the (cooler) air coming through a Michna-style box over the PCM.

- Jay

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice-lookin. My only comment is that setup will suck hot-air like crazy (firsthand experience) and the car will feel sluggish around town. Being cheap, you should go to a junkyard and grab a fan shroud from a car that you can mount on top of the radiator, and it'll keep most hot air from hitting the filter. I saw someone do this and it worked really well; I think he actually used either an upper or maybe a lower from a '91-93 Caprice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by sherlock9c1:
Nice-lookin. My only comment is that setup will suck hot-air like crazy (firsthand experience) and the car will feel sluggish around town. Being cheap, you should go to a junkyard and grab a fan shroud from a car that you can mount on top of the radiator, and it'll keep most hot air from hitting the filter. I saw someone do this and it worked really well; I think he actually used either an upper or maybe a lower from a '91-93 Caprice.
I plan on building something along the lines of the RAISS and air force setup when I get a chance. Until then power isn't a huge issue right now, as it's pretty doggy with the 2.56 gears anyhow...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.