Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my RMS for a couple of months, and about the only disappointment is the leg room in the drivers seat. I'm 6' 1" tall and wish there was more leg room. A person 5' 5" can safely drive my car with the drivers seat all the way back. There's way more leg room in my Regal GS and actually in most every other car I've ever owned.

I doubt there's any solution, but I thought I'd throw the question out there.....Is there any way to get more leg room in a 93 RMS?

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Hmm, I'm the same height and never had a problem with the leg room in Roadmasters. I actually liked the seat just a couple inches from all the way back. But maybe my body is longer and my legs are shorter lol Im 6'1" but only have a 30" inseam.

Also, I'm sure you checked, but are you certain the seat is going back all the way? Both seats line up when all the way back? I once had a power seat that would not travel all the way back.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
I've found it relatively easy over the years to make brackets that relocate the mounting points of the seat/floor rearward 1-2",using 1/8" steel-plate. Locate the mounting holes, then drill/tap the same holes directly behind the original holes. Run appropriate bolts up through the plate to create new mounting studs. Bolt the adapter plates to the floor,then re-attach the seat to the new mounting bolts. Enjoy...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have longer legs with a 34" inseam...so that would be the difference, and I like the drivers seat back as far as it goes in most cars that I drive.

Hmm, I'm the same height and never had a problem with the leg room in Roadmasters. I actually liked the seat just a couple inches from all the way back. But maybe my body is longer and my legs are shorter lol Im 6'1" but only have a 30" inseam.

Also, I'm sure you checked, but are you certain the seat is going back all the way? Both seats line up when all the way back? I once had a power seat that would not travel all the way back.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've found it relatively easy over the years to make brackets that relocate the mounting points of the seat/floor rearward 1-2",using 1/8" steel-plate. Locate the mounting holes, then drill/tap the same holes directly behind the original holes. Run appropriate bolts up through the plate to create new mounting studs. Bolt the adapter plates to the floor,then re-attach the seat to the new mounting bolts. Enjoy...
Thanks for the tip! I may have to do that.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've had my RMS for a couple of months, and about the only disappointment is the leg room in the drivers seat. I'm 6' 1" tall and wish there was more leg room. A person 5' 5" can safely drive my car with the drivers seat all the way back. There's way more leg room in my Regal GS and actually in most every other car I've ever owned.

I doubt there's any solution, but I thought I'd throw the question out there.....Is there any way to get more leg room in a 93 RMS?
I noticed the same thing not long after purchasing my Roadmaster. I'm 6'4 and have the seat all the way back with the bottom tilted upwards under my knees for the most comfort. When I bought my Roadmaster 4 years ago, I also had a 95 Crown Vic and I could stretch my legs out all the way without getting my feet caught in the pedals. It's funny how big the Roadmaster is but the power tracks stop the seats far too early. I've been in a small Chevy Cobalt coupe that seemed to have too much leg room. My long arms were nearly fully extended while holding the steering wheel. If the Buick becomes my daily driver again, I may go to a shop and get custom brackets made to move the seat back a couple inches.

·
Registered
17 Posts
RE:more leg room in RMS

I have the same problem on the passenger side of my 93. I broke my ankle in March and have occupied this seat for the past three months. I'm 5' 11'' and my knees are against the dash no matter how I adjust the seat:mad:

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have the same problem on the passenger side of my 93. I broke my ankle in March and have occupied this seat for the past three months. I'm 5' 11'' and my knees are against the dash no matter how I adjust the seat:mad:
Part of the reason is the huge dash on these cars. The space isn't the best for tall folks, especially on the passenger side

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Are you positive your seat is all the way back? I'm 6'7", 36" inseam. No problems in any of my B bodies. My wife if 5'8" and cannot reach the pedals if the seat is all the way back.

·
Registered
399 Posts
For me, the seats are all the way back. I don't have much of a problem in the driver seat. I just can't fully stretch out my legs like I could in my 95 Crown Victoria. The Passenger seat is only about 8 inches away from the dash on the passenger side (Top view measurement). If you notice, the power seats can almost touch the dash while fully forward. Tall folks, or those with long legs, look kinda cramped on the passenger side. I just wish the tracks allowed a little more backward movement.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
The passenger side actually goes back the same distance. The difference is that the floor pan is shallower. This is due to the carry over of the pan from the 77-90 cars. The big single cat converter was up there in that space.

·
Registered
17 Posts
re: Leg room in the roadmaster

I've also spent time in the rear passenger side seat and there isn't enough room under the seat for my size 12s when the seat is set for comfort in the front. Strange for a car this size. I don't have any problems when I'm in the proper seat.(the one behind the wheel:))

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is what I did on my 94 Sedan Limited. It seems that the "Limited" seats are also limited in there travel. My SS doesn't have this problem, In fact I can't drive it with the seat all the way back due to the clutch.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I believe it was either 3 or 3.5 inches. It doesn't really need much. Now I drive without even going all the way back (I'm 6'1"). When I do put it all the way back, any rear seat passenger complains about leg room.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks, thats good to know. My next project is pulling the seats to replace the drivers seat bottom foam and replace the carpet. 99% of the time its just me in the car, so I'm not worried about the back seat room

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was looking under my 93 RM to possibly move the seat back. There is a metal pan covering the bolts that secure the seat. Do you drill thru this pan to get access to drilling new holes in the floor pan?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was looking under my 93 RM to possibly move the seat back. There is a metal pan covering the bolts that secure the seat. Do you drill thru this pan to get access to drilling new holes in the floor pan?
Don't know. My 94 didn't have a metal pan. Only 4 bolts sticking up through the floor pan. I just cut 4 pieces of steel, drilled holes in them and used the existing bolts and new bolts to put it in. No drilling new holes in the floor pan required.

·
Registered
219 Posts
long shot but if you can find some manual seat brackets and install, they will give you 2-3 inches more reverse movement. look for a copcar caprice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts