Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a 355 build. No power adders, but with all the bolt ons I can afford. It also may be driven daily. what can I hope for?
Also, want a lopey cam. 110 would work.

· Registered
2,201 Posts
I'm planning a 355 build. No power adders, but with all the bolt ons I can afford. It also may be driven daily. what can I hope for?
Bottom end add ARP Rod Bolts
Buy 2.02/1.6 High flow valves, clean up pocket, 3 angle valve job
Howard ElectroPolished Springs
Retainer Kit shimmed to .1.75in
Have a Custom Street Cam made with 110 LSA for a 4000lb car
You will have about 400bhp

D

· Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds cool, but I would rather be over 450 H.P. if possible. I want to stay in the mid to high 12's and if later I throw a power adder I can shoot for 11's. Whadda ya think?

· Registered
2,326 Posts
If you mean stock stroke NA, then the most you'll likely get is about 750-800 BHP (NASCAR). But that won't be streetable at all.

You could easily get 450 BHP and 500 is really not that difficult either if you have the money and do it right. However, if it's going into a heavy car, then why not stroke it to get more Tq?

· Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It depends on how much torque you are talking about. I want it to be streetable. Maybe daily driven. I'm thinking the torque would stay under 500 hp. Is that reasonable?
Still want it to move at the track though...

· Registered
121 Posts
400-450hp is great and all, just make sure it's got the torque curve to go with it. Trust me, I'm stock cubes and feeling severely undertorqued with my H/C set up.

If you're doing the short block anyway, stroke it.

· Premium Member
287 Posts
stroke it to a 383...... add some AI heads with custom cam..... 400+ to the wheels!

· Premium Member
8,748 Posts

· Registered
2,201 Posts
That sounds cool, but I would rather be over 450 H.P. if possible. I want to stay in the mid to high 12's and if later I throw a power adder I can shoot for 11's. Whadda ya think?
Super Charge or Turbo Charge it...

You did not state intention to go 11's..

No matter the rout you will be spending big bucks.
Plus the prepping the rest of the car to go 11's.
At 11.49 or better you need a roll bar.

Which btw you can now get for under $200 for our cars

D

· Registered
2,684 Posts
91 Socal Pump-gas
stock stroke .045 over pistons
Auto unlocked
smog legal headers

all on the down low

110LSA is not recomened
You want to look at the the total deg of overlap and Sq area of overlap
keep it in range with an 846 if you want good brakes and manners
go to big and the T56 is going to DOG DOG DOG at low RPM

Really good heads are key to power.
as the overlap goes up so must the CR.
pay attenion to EVERY detail

· Registered
652 Posts
Why does everyone in this thread talk about cams in terms of LSA? It is the combination of duration and LSA that makes the cam unstreetable or lopy. Stock b-body cam has a 111* LSA and it is being used even in L99s.

I do not see the reason today not to go with a stroker crank. The price different is not nearly as significant as it used to be.

· Registered
2,684 Posts
Why does everyone in this thread talk about cams in terms of LSA? It is the combination of duration and LSA that makes the cam unstreetable or lopy.
How many times should I say overlap?

You want to look at the the total deg of overlap and Sq area of overlap
I do not see the reason today not to go with a stroker crank. The price different is not nearly as significant as it used to be.
I built an autocross RPM motor that gets decent fuel milage.
At the time the parts were at WD cost for me.
Beside I spent more money on my 3.48 @ cost than most people on there stroker crank.
I hands down wanted a stock stroke.
My ride out performs most of the FI LT1s, strokers, and FI stroker LT1s that roll in off the street and on to my dyno at work.

My main focus is max HP per cube.
Looking for bottle necks and little ponys here and there.

how does the saying go about differnt strokes?

· Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
12's is what I'm really aiming for! That talk about 11's is for later and a power adder. I don't want to do what everyone has done with the 383. I want to do a 355!

· Registered
1,194 Posts
What's your budget? That will determine the best route for you.

· Registered
436 Posts
oh yeah, if you want the best performance out of a 355, then look into what Bernie Steinke did about 6 years ago cwm1

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.