Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand 5-6 psi system is not worth it, it is better off staying with head/cam upgrade for less. So, what is the most practical boost level for money spent reliability/power wise before it gets prohibitely expensive?
What about external upgrades on the engine as the boost rises? I mean PCV system, passenger side valve cover vent pipe, vacuum lines, blowby control, excessive crankcase pressure, oil catch can...
Little is needed at 5-6 psi, but at 8 psi? 12 psi? 15 psi? Beyond?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
So, what is the most practical boost level for money spent reliability/power wise before it gets prohibitely expensive?
0 psi :)

Just a little boost isnt cost effective, as you said. You can get more power out of a heads/cam package than adding 5 psi on a stock motor.

If you want more power than a good heas/cam package will provide you will need a solid motor, lots of tuning, good fuel delivery system, etc...

If you want your forced induction setup to be "worth it" and reliable, it'll cost you... It's either expensive or you dont do it at all, there is no "in betweens".

·
Registered
146 Posts
I went low 12's with a stock engine and 10 psi on a p600b head unit stock engine with full exhaust and convertor and gears. Than went with a 383 N/A set up with AI heads and cam and got to the mid 11's and still have not tunned the car in completely. I didnt want to go the heads cam route but I spun a bearing and had to. Now I wouldnt go back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts