Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so for the last few month or so i been fighting a random miss. it was just a pop every now and then, and when i was on throttle, it would pop often....
fast forward to last night, i think i lost a rod. metal sound, clucking in the bottem of the motor.

so towed her home.

I have another block i plan on building, i wanted to take my time and do every part right...well **** changes, all 3 of our cars decided to ****ing break yesterday.

my wife was able to save her car by welding metal into her plentium ( got to love plastic intakes)

anyways history time is over, here is the point of the thread.

i have some heads, with some work done. all bolt on, not machined. 1.6 rr/springs, hydra rev kit ect...

i have a custom cam from lloyd that plays nice with the heads.

beyond othat internals will be all stock, i dont plan on stroking since i need a running car.

here is my question, will the stock bottem end hanndle the simple mods/bolt ons?

would i be better going with a few forged internals (pistons, beams rods)

i cant afford too much, so can i re-use my crank from another motor? lt1 i am kinda iffy about reusing old parts but i dont have a choice...i just hope the crank is a part that durable enough to be re-used. of course if its in good shape anyways.

i have heard horror storys re-using some internals (such as rings n what not) so i just want to make sure i should be good with a used crank.

break down of motor

alm heads
1.6 rr/ spings
hydra rev kit
58mm tb
3.5 maf
cam
deltec

my real goal is a little bit more beef then stock, but reliable.

thanks for your help guys
Wolf

like always sorry for spelling or punc

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
here is my question, will the stock bottem end hanndle the simple mods/bolt ons?
Yes.

Tear it all apart.

Take the crank and block to a machine shop for cleaning and inspection.

Polish the crank, install new cam bearings, mains, rod bearings and rings.

If you can afford balancing, get the crank and rods balanced. Throw on a neutral flex plate.

Install new oil pump, seals and gaskets.

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes.

Tear it all apart.

Take the crank and block to a machine shop for cleaning and inspection.

Polish the crank, install new cam bearings, mains, rod bearings and rings.

If you can afford balancing, get the crank and rods balanced. Throw on a neutral flex plate.

Install new oil pump, seals and gaskets.
why a new pump just asking.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Just "cheap insurance". One of those things you do "while you're in there". I would think that, in California, you should be able to buy a good, low mileage running engine for cheap and then transfer your heads, etc. No?

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just "cheap insurance". One of those things you do "while you're in there". I would think that, in California, you should be able to buy a good, low mileage running engine for cheap and then transfer your heads, etc. No?
o ya i could.

i rather build it for a little more money and have a almost new motor :)

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
Wolf

My $02 to have a "fresh" start is take your block & crank in as lance suggested to a machine shop. You may get away with just a re-hone and crank polish. Cam, rod & main bearings, new set of rings (assumeing the block does not need .030). Could even have the stock rods fitted for new ARP bolts.

with the LE2 package you have should be a solid motor with more :) and last.

Oil pump, sure they are cheap....get a metal ARP oil pump drive shaft.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts