Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there run aftermarket motor mounts?? Ive looked but really havnt found much. Im yanking my motor here in a few days and wanna upgrade as much as possible. Are they worth buyin or should I just get new stockers?? Thanks

· Registered
560 Posts
A year ago I put generic parts store replacement mounts in my car only because I had 180K on the originals and at launch I hit them pretty hard.
Never had a problem with the stockers and if the car were closer to stock I would not have bothered replacing them till they showed some sign of failure.

· Registered
237 Posts
I did the Energy Suspension Poly Mounts when I took my engine out. Most other mounts/busghings are poly on my car and I am satisfied when them.
ENS-3-1116G

· Premium Member
1,577 Posts
Do you guys have a writeup on how to change the motor mounts? I dont have an engine puller or anything....
Step one: Get a puller..

Seriously, you have to get the motor up off the mounts before doing anything else. You need to be able to snake a wrench up inside the crossmember to hold the fasteners from underneath. What makes it even more fun is that the lower control arm is in the way. I did mine when I had the whole suspension (and body, and engine) off the frame, but it's possible with the control arm bolted up.

When I did the mounts on my 93 Sierra (same basic layout), I bought a cheapo 3/8" drive wrench,and bent the nadle to get up to the motor mounts. Made things a LOT easier, and I swapped them out in about an hour.

· Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info fellas!

· Registered
2,703 Posts
Note the orientation. Remove and install one at a time may be helpful. It is easy to reverse the position and then it doesn't work.

· Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Ok i dont mean to steal this tread but how many people would be interested in polyurethane motor mounts specific for these cars? The reason i say this is because my dad is in the business of making poly motor mounts for GTOs, Supras, Corvettes, CTSs, etc... and i told him that he needs to make them for impala SS. all of his motor mounts are lifetime and has alot of good rep around those other cars. Who would be interested in this?

Oh ya his mounts are anywhere from $100-$150 a set.

· Registered
88 Posts
Well they are already readily available from Energy Suspension for less than that.

Changing them out is a total bitch! I wouldn't attempt it unless the motor was completely OUT of the vehicle. Chances are you will not be able to get them bolted back in with the motor there.

edit: FWIW my factory passenger side one was totally wasted at 130k miles. Worth looking into if you ever have the motor out.

· Registered
2,684 Posts
Original mounts are still hanging tough for me

110K miles
hundreds of 1/4 passes
hundreds of autox passes
430RWHP since 06
365RWHP 03-06
285RWHP 00-03

· Premium Member
350 Posts
I´m going to do my whole front end and i want to replace the worn motor mounts while i have the controls arms removed. Someone on here told me you can losen the motor mount bolts/nuts and lift the engine slightly with a floor jack, supporting the crank pulley. Is someone advise against doing so?

· Registered
1,115 Posts
I´m going to do my whole front end and i want to replace the worn motor mounts while i have the controls arms removed. Someone on here told me you can losen the motor mount bolts/nuts and lift the engine slightly with a floor jack, supporting the crank pulley. Is someone advise against doing so?
I cant comment on lifting the engine because I changed my mounts when the engine was out of the car (Regular rubber OEM Mounts). What I can say is:
1. The time to change them IS when the lower control arms are out of the car (Better access to the bolts inside the frame)
2. I bought a swivel socket like the one in the link pic below, which made holding the bolt head(s) inside the frame much easier while the "Locking Crush" nuts above on the mount can be loosened. It's a Craftsman 15mm - 3/8" Drive swivel socket. Using a standard 3/8 Swivel with a 15mm socket attached to it is to long and jambs up inside the frame.

3. You'll also be needing 2-3 long 3/8" extensions to reach the bolts inside the frame (Depending on length).

4. It's alot easier if someone is up top loosening the crush nuts on the motor mount while your holding the bolt head inside the frame. Other wise, you will have to loosen the nuts AND Hold the bolts at the same time....Which is a major PITA! Get a friend to help you.

· Premium Member
1,577 Posts
I bought a "flex head" handle, looks like this.

I bought a cheap import one, and bent the handle to work better inside the crossmember. Worth the $5-6 I spent on it. Got to use my OA torch to heat it up... in all it was a fun day in the shop.. :)

· Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Changing the motormounts are easy. Put a cherry-picker on it lift the load a little pull each bolt out and then lift the motor 3in or so. Replace your mounts.

I would say that if you are racing this car go with polyurethane motor mounts. You would be amazed at how much loss of torque you get by the FACTORY RUBBER mounts. Have you ever watched you motor move side to side about an inch and a half? Loss of power.....

Make sure to not only go with poly mounts but GOOD poly mounts...

· Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Hey chronic can you send me a link to where energy suspension sells the poly mounts? i cannot find anywhere, all i see is camaro insets which are not real motor mounts and are a joke.

· Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Ok those are the inserts, I know they sell those pretty much anywhere but i was wondering if they made a whole motor mount that bolted right in. How do you install them into the factory metal case? I belive it is welded so did you drill them out or cut it?

Thanks-josh

· Premium Member
350 Posts
Thanks!
Instead of putting my engine at risk with the floor jack method, i will buy a cherry picker on Ebay.

· Premium Member
350 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.