Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching all over for some info about this MSD box. I picked it up in a package deal from a guy who sold me that and a brand new msd opti.i have the box and i figure i might as well install it. I cant find any info on this forum about where people install these boxes. there is little to no room under the hood and i thought about fabricating a mount plate to maybe mount it on top of the intake manifold and bolt it down with the fuel rail bolts. anyone have any pics of their installs or know of where to install the box? i have the harness and everything to hook it up, just cant find a legit location. by the way, im not asking if i need the box because im not gonna let it sit and rot. just asking for a decent location to mount it.

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
I have the "6A" which is smaller the the "AL" so it may not fit where I have it....DS fender. it has been on the car for 13 years

You really don't want to mount it on the intake or anywhere on motor. heat is the enemy

I have seen them mounted on radiator support on top and in front.

my 6A pic

Attachments

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yours looks the same as mine and for some reason i dont see the same space on my car that you have on yours. its cold as hell outside here in atl right now so i will check for space in that location tomorrow. i tried to see what it was like on the radiator support but it was moving too much for my taste. i went and bought a sheet of plexiglass and will fab something and figure something out based on the responses i get from you guys.

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
yours looks the same as mine and for some reason i dont see the same space on my car that you have on yours..
it may "look" the same as a 6AL but it is not as long...and possibly not as wide.

It is mounted with just 2 small bolts on the edge of the DS fender where it meets the "flap" wheel well cover. I used 2 of the rubber shock washers that came with the MSD between it & fender. IIRC there was at least 1 of the 2 holes already in the metal wheel cover to mount it...easy to just drill. It mounts between the windshield washer tank and porportioning valve. 6AL may be to long to fit there.

a simple metal bracket on radiator brace should work as well

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks bro. I got it mounted today. Just went ahead and put it on the pass side of the radiator shroud. It actually worked out fine there because i was able to run the ground to the battery ground on the fender and run the power wire to the battery power to the fuse block under hood. And also the wires were just long enough to reach around nice and neat to the coil.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I had mine on the pcm cover, I had a Mallory though. Reason I dont any more is I have an LTCC now.
LTCC is mounted in the bolts for the washer tank.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
my mallory mounted above pcm too

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
I know this is an old thread but, does anyone have a pic or pics of their box mounted on top of their PCM. Did you need to fabricate bracket? Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts