Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Weird question: I was looking at cap and rotor kits for the opti, and I'm curious about something on the MSDs. I noticed when looking at them that there seems to be either a red one with black lettering, and a black one with red lettering. I assume the design simply changed at some point, can anyone tell me what the current units look like? I'm debating on pulling off the opti on the Vette that's been beating me to death on why it won't start and trying a fresh cap and rotor, inspect the internals, and I'd wouldn't mind having the MSD for cosmetic reasons. Anyone use one recently? It seems they've been having quality issues with even those. I thought MSD problems were limited to poor quality optical sensors and poor assembly, but I've seen a few people complain about just the cap and rotor themselves in recent years.

Registered
Don't know for sure,but suspect they're exactly the same other than color scheme.

Registered
Weird question: I was looking at cap and rotor kits for the opti, and I'm curious about something on the MSDs. I noticed when looking at them that there seems to be either a red one with black lettering, and a black one with red lettering. I assume the design simply changed at some point, can anyone tell me what the current units look like? I'm debating on pulling off the opti on the Vette that's been beating me to death on why it won't start and trying a fresh cap and rotor, inspect the internals, and I'd wouldn't mind having the MSD for cosmetic reasons. Anyone use one recently? It seems they've been having quality issues with even those. I thought MSD problems were limited to poor quality optical sensors and poor assembly, but I've seen a few people complain about just the cap and rotor themselves in recent years.
I just installed an MSD cap & rotor kit on my 96 Impala SS a few weeks ago. I can't recall the color scheme but I could check tomorrow, fairly certain though it is a black cap with red resin and black lettering. the difference you speak of could also be vented versus non-vented cap.

Registered
Recent install ~middle of Sept., no idea on diff. colors.
Beefy compared to OE cap, worked as it was supposed to.

[/IMG]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts