Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the MSD ignition coil good for 94 impala ss?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I'd save my money, the MSD coils don't seem to last long enough on our cars to be considered an upgrade, imho.
I've had mine for 4 years with no issues. In fact it was arcing out of a cut in the wire across 1.5 inches of empty space to ground in dry air conditions. (Don't worry I already installed new plug wires last weekend.)

- Brian

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will it damage the opti though?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Is the MSD ignition coil good for 94 impala ss?
Sure. Unless it stops working good. This has happened to quite a few people. What seems to have an even better track record is the OEM unit. Is there a reason beyond the cool, shiny red paintjob that you prefer the MSD to an OEM unit? The OEM unit can be rattle canned that same cool, shiny red too. :)

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
I've been on this board from the beginning, and as far as I know, the MSD and Accel OEM replacement coils for 94-95 B-bodies, work and fail about the same as OEM stuff. They are basically identical to the OEM stuff, except for the color.:)

Now, the MSD opti is another story.:p

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got a msd coil and think its to powerful because my spark plug wires are flashing by the plugs when you look at them at night. My msd wires are brand new and so are my ac delco platinum plugs.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
I doubt your problem is being caused by the coil, unless the coil is defective. Try a good known coil. There really isn't such a thing as too powerful, on stock style coil.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Usually, when you have arcing around the coil or plugs, it's a bad coil, or bad plug wires, in my experience. There could be an issue with the ignition module, as well.

Unfortunately, it could be several different things.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I just got a msd coil and think its to powerful because my spark plug wires are flashing by the plugs when you look at them at night. My msd wires are brand new and so are my ac delco platinum plugs.
+1 with leadfoot, I doubt the coil is the culprit behind the flashing but if you have another one handy, you can give it a shot.

FWIW i had the same problem you are experiencing last year post GDL'09, while running an OE coil.

I had plugs flashing, mine were inconsistent and random, like every 4 seconds or so #1, #3, #4 and #5 would put off a blue, mini strobe-like flash.

It was bright like an arc, but if you watched those plugs intently, you could see it was the porcelain of the plug lighting up bright blue for a split second.

They were AC Delco Double Platnum with around 30k on them.

Long story short, I had bad plugs, either outta the box, or I hair-line cracked them during installation.

I went back with a set of standard NGK TR55's, seeing as all the platinum pucks were already gone off the AC's after 30k (also causing my plug gap to open up massively), and I haven't saw the plugs flashing as I described since.

Take note that if in pitch black darkness (no hood light), I can still see all my plugs barely, barely "blinking" as the motor runs, but its not random, and not bright at all. (I always saw this, but it's nothing like the bright flashing I had). I believe this light "blinking" is normal, as I can see this particular "blinking" on my 95 Yukon as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts