Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

Just picked up a 1995 Impala SS, and have a few upgrades planned for it, but I'm on a somewhat tight budget.

It has a nice looking hood with a scoop and a ram air intake that was never installed that I'm putting on, and would just like a little more meaty exhaust note to go with that.

Had planned on just replacing the stock cans with flowmaster mufflers, but consensus seems to be these are not the best choice, correct? Recommendations for something deep yet still mellow, and I assume these are a direct cut/drop in replacement?

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
Buy a set of Aero Chambers while you still can. :D

·
Registered
994 Posts
Dynomax 17749 will keep you quiet, but rumble.
Many others are kinda loud for a daily driver.....depends how loud you want it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Buy a set of Aero Chambers while you still can. :D
Thanks for the heads up!

I did some searching here though, and they seem to be described as unusually loud though:
As far as how they sound... They are loud. They have a chambered muffler sound to them, that's for sure. One day, I drove by our road at WOT. Later when I came home, my dad asked if I heard that go by a few minutes ago. He said it sounded like a car went by with open headers, and that it sounded really good. He also mentioned that who ever it was, better be careful, since it was so loud, the local PD would be all over it.
This is going to be a daily driver for me, so I'd like to hear the exhaust (right now w/ stock its almost inaudible), but still have it be pretty mellow at low throttle/rpm.

Think it would still be ok since I've got stock headers/cat/resonators w/ it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Dynomax 17749 will keep you quiet, but rumble.
Many others are kinda loud for a daily driver.....depends how loud you want it.
The sites that I have gone to all indicate that the 17749 part is not a fit for a 95 Impala SS.

Its not priced bad: Amazon.com: Dynomax 17749 Super Turbo Aluminized Steel 2 1/2" In/Out Muffler: Automotive

Anyone know if this is bogus?

BTW, I noticed that advanceautoparts has $40 off a $60 order! :D
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/38249/advance-auto-parts-$10-off-$30,-$20-off-$50,-$25-off-$60,-$30-off-$75,-$40-off-$100,-&-$50-off-$200-online-coupons

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
I don't know what sites you may be looking at that say there's a compatibility problem as far as what won't work (by what criteria?)....here's Dynomax listings from Jegs for several potential mufflers, none which would actually "bolt in" to a stock SS system, considering that all are 2.5" rather than 2.25" inlet/outlet sizing.

View of Dynomax 17375 Catback kit for 94-96 B-body, showing side/side muffler configuration

all 3 mufflers listed below are side in - side out (opposite side) as is the production B-body muffler

Dynomax Super Turbo 17749
20" shell

Dynomax Impala SS replacement (for Dynomax catback kit listed above)
- REBATE applies - polished stainless
dimensions not available

Dynomax VT - REBATE applies - 409 welded stainless
16" shell, 21" length overall

Here's a 2.25" Dynomax Ultra-Flo SS muffler that might work with stock intermediate & tail pipes, for example:
(these mufflers are shorter than the OE's--an extension of the intermediate pipe would be needed)

Part Number - 17271
Shell Diameter (in.) 4.25 x 9.75
Overall Length (in.) 19
Shell Length (in.) 14
Inlet Diameter (in.) 2.25
Outlet Diameter (in.) 2.25

My point here is not to promote Dynomax over any other brand, but to make it understood that the question of incompatibility on your car is inaccurate. A good exhaust shop, or someone with moderate skills and some welding equipment can make MANY mufflers work on an Impala SS that might not be "listed" for that application.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Since you listed the VT muff.....I really wonder how long they think that a spring & valve set-up inside the muff is going to last...lol. I guessing MAYBE a couple of years before one or both of those component's break or freeze up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You the man Bill. :D

I had just used the "will it fit" option on a couple of the sites I was shopping at, which as you guessed likely just meant it wasn't listed but could still fit.

The idea was to keep costs down, so definitely want something thats as simple as possible to squeeze in there in place of the stock can.

I did some reading on that VT, and thats interesting and to address the spring life concern I found this:
"I recently had a chance to listen to a new muffler debuted by DynoMax called the VT. What makes this muffler interesting is the company’s solution to in-car drone that occurs very often with a high-performance exhaust system. The DynoMax solution was to place a spring-loaded valve inside the main passage through the muffler. At idle and low cruising rpm, the spring pressure keeps the valve closed until sufficient exhaust pressure pushes it open. My first question for Joe Pase, the director or performance brand with Tenneco (the parent company), was how long that valve would last before it seized due to heat and corrosion. According to Pase, the company has performed more than a million heat cycles on the valve and its stainless steel woven bushing. The company feels so strongly that it offers a limited lifetime warranty and even a 90-day sound guarantee that if you don’t like the way the muffler sounds, it'll take it back. I went for a ride in a truck with two different exhaust systems to compare the noise level inside the truck, and the difference wasn’t huge, but it was noticeable. CC contributor Ed Taylor measured the difference with his iPhone dB meter and got the same 3 dB results claimed by DynoMax. The entire muffler is welded stainless steel, and the price is affordable at less than $100 each. There are currently two versions of the muffler: one with a side inlet and center outlet with a case length of 14 inches; and one slightly longer 16-inch case length with full offset of the inlet and outlets."
Says it flows 841cfm.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hi guys.

Just picked up a 1995 Impala SS, and have a few upgrades planned for it, but I'm on a somewhat tight budget.

It has a nice looking hood with a scoop and a ram air intake that was never installed that I'm putting on, and would just like a little more meaty exhaust note to go with that.

Had planned on just replacing the stock cans with flowmaster mufflers, but consensus seems to be these are not the best choice, correct? Recommendations for something deep yet still mellow, and I assume these are a direct cut/drop in replacement?
i just got done installing a dynomax system and just got back from driving it with the pypes x pipe and without the resonators and IT IS LOUD!!! super deep rumble though...a little different than the pypes that i had on there before. i am DEFINITELY reinstalling the resonators tomorrow because the car is a whole lot quieter with them on and gives a nice deep roar when at WOT. i think you would love these for a daily driver but definitely with the resonators installed. i got the whole dynomax system a few weeks ago and figured i would try it out and sold the pypes system to my in law he just picked up a 92 caprice with 72k from some old lady for 500 all because it wouldnt start. he got it running right there in her yard.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Give Magnaflow a try. I have Aerochambers on my SS and love them, but my car is really fuggin loud so I'm glad it's not a daily anymore. I used to have a RMW with Magnaflows dumped by the axle, had to imagine it would sound better out the rear but didn't wanna mess with wagon tailpipes. I just put a Magnaflow on my Trailblazer SS and love it. Their non-stainless "XL" line are pretty damn cheap on eBay and are the same internally, the stainless ones start around $70ish.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Hi guys.

Here's your issues:

- Stock system is 409 grade stainless. 2.25" from intermediate pipes (directly behind the cats) to the over axles. They're channeled to 2" from there to the tips.

The problem w/ this is that many aftermarket catback alternatives are not stainless, so a switch would in effect be a downgrade, not an upgrade. They will naturally deteriorate/oxidize faster than the stock system. Will they flow better? Sure. But it can sometimes become a trade-off w/ modifications that you go "1 step forward" while also going "1 step back". In this case, including stainless steel build as a criterion along w/ improved flow and sound would be "2 steps forward".

- The stock mufflers have hangers welded to them. For a direct replacement muffler, it will have to have those hangers. This reduces the selection of alternatives. Not by a little, but by a lot.

- The flow of the stock system is impaired by non-mandrel crimping of the driver's side intermediate pipe.

Don't be too concerned about optimal CFM flow of an aftermarket muffler. The intermediate pipes (and to a lesser degree the stock manifolds) will prevent you from ever realizing those flow numbers.

- The stock mufflers are approximately 21" in length. Most aftermarket alternatives, both w/ and w/out attached hangers, are approximately 14".

The above bulleted items are facts, not opinion. These are the issues you'll need to address when deciding upon any replacements. There are many alternatives out there, but I'd 1st encourage you to do a search on the exhaust system to determine the various avenues available to you that other people have tried. I could rattle of a "do this because I think it's best" combination, but that may or may not work for your financial, aesthetic, loudness, drone or any other preferences.

Suffice to say, if you don't have a welding machine and just want to replace the mufflers, you'll need to bring it in somewhere due to the variance in muffler lengths and the commensurate need to "add" several inches of pipe. That alone will cost $. Should you wait and expolore the options available to you, you could arrive at a solution which will allow you to "bolt on" the system w/out the need and expense of an outside welder. For my part, I've used band clamps on my present system which allows me the flexibility of replacing any individual component and doing it myself.

2.25", 2.5", 3", mandrel bends, straight pipe, X-pipe, H-pipe, CFM flow, loudness, drone, and on... Take a look, write down some questions, post em back and we'll go from there. Sorry if this doesn't give you an immediate, custom tailored answer, but I'm trying to stay away from my opinion and focus more on your unique needs.

·
Registered
769 Posts
...I'm on a somewhat tight budget.

Read all the previous posts in detail first.

You have two choices.
- Save up some more money and do it right the first time. You might also look up "frankenstein exhaust", which uses several manufacturers parts pieced together a whole 2.5" mandrel exhaust for the cheapest price.
- Just replace the mufflers now and then throw it all away later when you have the money. [Not as dumb as it sounds.] This has been my approach and they have been on for several years now. [It is likely they will be on the car when I get rid of it, the way the economy is going.] You got a lot (most?) of the benefit just by changing the mufflers.

I went with Summit Turbo mufflers 2-1/4" in/out center/offset. [I picked mine up "used", but I think you can get the pair for a little over $50 shipped.] I took it to a local muffler shop to do the install. They cut off the old mufflers, cut off the hangers and welded them to the new mufflers, added some pipe to extend the front pipe and sleeved the muffler to reduce it down. This was about $50.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Just do away with the stock mufflers altogether, have an x-pipe installed and keep the factory resonators. The x-pipe will be an added benefit in itself and the resonators will give you a nice balance between too loud and what you like.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Magnflow..light low rumble at idle and roars at WOT..love them..
+1
I have a Magnaflow cat and muffler on my 3" single setup, I love the classic glasspack rumble. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just installed MagnaFlow universal replacement mufflers. They have an 18" body and fiber glass design. I stayed away from chambered muffler design because I wanted a deep smooth tone. Also added an H pipe and removed the resonators. It is quiet at idle and start up, it has a deep sound with no gurgle or popping which I did not want. There is some noise reaching the interior at town speeds but at highway speed there is no drone and very little noise in the interior. I retained the stock tips and in retrospect I might have had the pipes dump straight out the back. I think it might get rid of some interior noise. Midas did the install for $100. I am very pleased with it but sound is a very subjective thing.

·
Banned
32 Posts
This is the first bubbles in the coolant tank?In addition to reducing harmful substances in exhaust gases, exhaust system, including the structure, which reduces the noise from the motor. Noise reduction is specifically the responsibility of the silencer. Uncomfortable and the ear-blasting roar of the engine makes its way into the car, if this is part of a malfunction.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Please anything but flowmasters cwm8. I personally like the spintech stuff

·
Registered
466 Posts
Just do away with the stock mufflers altogether, have an x-pipe installed and keep the factory resonators. The x-pipe will be an added benefit in itself and the resonators will give you a nice balance between too loud and what you like.
Seriously? I was thinking of doing this but without an X pipe... where would you put the X pipe?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts