Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my new engine installed and running well I would like to swap the mufflers on the car. I am currently running Hooker Aero Chambers. They sound great at wide open throttle but they just are not loud enough at idle. I need a little help in deciding what I want to run. I have Afterburner headers and 2.5" pipes. I thought about SLP loudmouth resonators but I am not running any cats and I think this would make it sound like a *******'s straight-piped 4x4 truck. I want something that is much louder than the Hooker mufflers but I want quality sound as well. An old, wise man once told me "Just 'cause it's loud don't mean it sounds good."

I have heard great things about Spin Tech but their website has way too many choices. What do you guys recommend here?

Flowmaster seems to be a popular choice and a well-known brand. Plus they are easily accessible from any local muffler shop.

I have also thought about Pypes Violator mufflers.

Any input will be appreciated.

-Paul

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
theres all different types, go with what sounds good to you, here are some vids of some memebers of this forum, vids dont do justice but you get the idea

pypes X- prostreets

Prostreets

sportmans

flowmaster american thunder

Flowmaster 40 series

Flowmaster 40 series no cats

theres plenty more to choose from

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. To those of you who have heard both: Is the Spin Tech Pro street louder than the Flowmaster 40? I like the sound quality of both.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. To those of you who have heard both: Is the Spin Tech Pro street louder than the Flowmaster 40? I like the sound quality of both.
I think so, I have 40 series no cats and headers, and prostreets with the same setup sound louder to me

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
Hey, that's my car in the first video. :D

How does the exhaust exit? Some have mentioned that a bigger tip acts like a mega phone.

I have very close setups on both Roadmasters. The one in the video is Tri-y's, no cats, pypes X pipe, Spintech Prostreets, turndowns. The other one is, stock manifolds, no cats, pypes X pipe, Spintech Prostreets, 2.5" dynomax over the axle pipes dumped in the rear fender. At idle, the mufflers with turn downs is quite a bit louder, and more booming.

My 96 Caprice is flowtech headers, no cats, 2.5" pipes, hooker aero chambers, 2.5" over the axle pipe, 2.5" tips turn down. It also has the 845 cam, which I think makes it a little louder. I think it's decently loud at idle. It booms loud enough that while it was sitting 20 yards from the house idling, I could hear it inside. My moms friends wanted to know what all the noise was. At WOT, my dad thought a car with open headers went past the road.

I do with the Roadmaster with the Prostreets dumped is a little louder. But I don't know if this is because the mufflers are dumped, or if the mufflers are louder. I could hear my dad taking off a few times in it, about a 1/2 a mile from our house. the mufflers do lose a little snap to them, when they are dumped, vs going through the over the axle pipes. As far as sound, I still don't know which ones I like better. But I know I wouldn't use Flowmaster 40's again on them. Had them on two of my 9C1's, and I was happy I didn't pay for the mufflers. the loudest Spintechs, are the Pro shootouts. The mufflers are SMALL, but it's amazing how well spintechs control the sound with such small cases. The Spintech prostreets are only about 1/2 -2/3 the width of the aero chambers. And the pro shootouts, are small yet, with even less internal baffling.

The loudest one at idle I have had, I'd say was my Red Roadmaster, with Tri-y headers, no cats, and a muffler delete. It was loud at idle... it was deafening at throttle. It really didn't sound all that great. It still didn't sound that great when the manifolds with no cats were put back on. It was one of those things, where even people who liked loud cars, said it sounded awful. Same people LOVE the prostreet, and aero chamber cars.

I'd try a big tip, like a 3.5" tip, and see if that does anything for it. If not, remove the over the axle pipes, and see what that does.

Not loud enough for ya?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
magnaflows are too quiet for me, but they always sound nice in old muscle with built motors cwm3
+1. I'm running 3" Magnaflows on the 1971 GS Stage 1 listed in the signature. Sounds great!

The Spintech Prostreets seem to be the way to go. I really like the stainless construction over Flowmaster.

Where is the best place to purchase Spintech mufflers?

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
+1. I'm running 3" Magnaflows on the 1971 GS Stage 1 listed in the signature. Sounds great!

The Spintech Prostreets seem to be the way to go. I really like the stainless construction over Flowmaster.

Where is the best place to purchase Spintech mufflers?
I got mine from a Club Brother that was getting them from a wholesaler, but i havent seen them advertised in summit or jegs but here ya go

http://www.spintechmufflers.com/

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
You want LOUD, go Pro Shootout. Pro Streets will be a little quieter.(altho, they are plenty loud for most.)

Clear Image, or the Spintech site seems to be about the only place to find them. I got mine, used, from a Forum member. If you are attempting to use them with over the axle pipes, the fit is going to be a bit tricky, because of how skinny the mufflers are. I had to do some custom work to my pypes X pipe to get them to fit with the spintechs, and the dynomax OTA pipes.

How old are the Aero chambers? I might be interested in buying a set. ;)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Damn that Magnaflow sounds amazing!!!!!!!!!!1
yea magnaflows do sound good i just slapped some on my factory exhaust with resonator delete. Quiet at idle but sound great when cruising

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Flowmaster super 44's...dey sound gooda then a mutha...especially when you get on her;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.