Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Complete SS exhaust systems seems to be out of the market. Are there any muffler-only upgrades (louder) that bolt to the stock SS system? No cutting, fabbed pipes, etc. I'm looking at FlowMaster mufflers #42442 and #52458. Thanks.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Muffler option

First know that the stock muffler is welded to the intermediate pipe from the factory, so cutting is involved.
The over the axle pipe is clamped to the muffler outlet.
I bought the Walker stock replacement mufflers and adapted them to the end of the intermediate pipe after I cut the stock muffler off. I kept the factory intermediate pipe because it is a type of stainless steel and I am still using it after 20 years .
This is on my 96 B4U Caprice which has the same exhaust as the Impala SS.
Ken

·
Premium Member
20,364 Posts
Complete SS exhaust systems seems to be out of the market........
The Dynomax 2 1/2" cat-back system is available from Summit racing....but you have to buy the pieces individually.

But you could buy all the pipes.....and then the muffler of your choice....because the Dynomax mufflers are NOT loud, versus other performance mufflers.

OR.....in a couple of months when I swap out the exhaust on my '95 SS.....you can buy my current system. It's the ATR 2 1/2" Stainless Steel exhaust with H-pipe.

Louder and higher performing than stock......

KW

·
Registered
8,724 Posts
The Dynomax 2 1/2" cat-back system is available from Summit racing....but you have to buy the pieces individually. KW
FWIW I just bought the Dynomax (walker) 54016 (PS over axle) pipe through Autozone for $29.99. The DS, 54017, is a few $ more but showing up as NA now.

Anyway cheaper than Summit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Put a pair of original 40 series flowmasters #42443 on my ss about a week ago. Definitely louder than the stock mufflers, but not anywhere near loud enough to wake the neighbors. A low grumble at idle and a mild roar at WOT.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Late to the party here but I used the Summit Racing stainless mufflers on mine.Straight through design such as magnaflow,etc.If you want a little more noise and a power bump remove the resonators in the puny 2" tail pipes or replace the tailpipes all together.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
FYI, the size of the tailpipes does not need to be large as they are not a restriction. High school chemistry tells you why. Removing the resonators is also a bad idea unless you don't mind drone.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not all systems/mufflers drone.I run resonators depending on the setup.Some of us do want to hear our mufflers.
As for 2 " tail pipes not being a restriction,yes and no_On the stock 260HP motor that came in our cars probably not.On a hot/modified engine they will be.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Flowbastards will drone you right out of the car. Some don't care about it - I could not f-ing stand them. I like the sound of them, but the drone was ungodly. The best muffler I've found for this car and my tastes are Dynomax VT's. They're 100% drone-free (and I don't have resonators) and have a nice burble around town. Once you get on it, they open up and the car is LOUD. The downside to them is their price.

Just about any muffler can be added to any system. Its all about the skill of your installer.

·
Registered
8,724 Posts
IDK about Pypes whole systems but their X pipe was a good fit on my Frankenstein system......although I always use a muffler shop to install/weld so they are able to "massage" anything as needed

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Pypes "X" pipe ,nd a pair of Dynomax Ultra-Flo's

Reactions: 91ss

·
Registered
4 Posts
Put a pair of original 40 series flowmasters #42443 on my ss about a week ago. Definitely louder than the stock mufflers, but not anywhere near loud enough to wake the neighbors. A low grumble at idle and a mild roar at WOT.
I did the same with Flowmaster 9424432s (their original part number sequence) in 2002, and left the stock resonators in place. It is satisfying, without severe drone. There have been no problems with the swap, but it's only been 19 years, so I'll have to reserve any commenting until some longer term experience is gathered.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts