Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New 96 SS B-body owner. Previously an 07, 08 Gen9 SS owner.
Looking for Exhaust advice on my 96: previous owner installed Borla catback Stainless system (muffler, resonator, H-pipe). On My 07, 08 SS's I did the resonator delete and Borla performance mufflers and it had a nice low growl to it but some drone at cruising speeds. On my 96, Although it’s a nice expensive exhaust, it has no growl and it’s a shame to waste the true dual potential. SO do I do a muffler delete or resonator delete and would the tubing size make any significant difference? I just want to get some low growl out of it without the drone and NO poppy crap.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
If you want no drone you will have to either have resonators or delete them and run the exhaust pipe so it don't point at the ground and doesn't end under the car.
Plenty of threads discussing this.

Some reading about how exhaust works

-ALF out...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Leaving the resonators is where I was leaning towards. So if I did just a muffler delete and left all else (resonator, H-pipe, tubing size) how drastic would that be? I don't want to be the obnoxious neighbor with the rattle-trap like the teeny boppers with the new mustangs and squat trucks.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
In 25 years I've NEVER heard of any tri-9 B-/D- with any drone using an intact complete Borla cat-back. If you've got the complete $1,200 2-1/4" Borla with resonators and a cx-over pipe, and you're not over 350hp at the wheels, well then I wouldn't touch a GD MF thing. Just IMHO. ;)

I HAVE heard one in person and agreed with others standing around that it's the quietest system out there. If needing some more manly noise though, why not try an experiement of something less drastic like drilling some holes in the tailpipe for a couple inches. If it doesn't do the trick then it's just a matter of a s.s. band clamp and copper RTV, and then you can start removing parts. Removing resonators on a car that don't drone plain sounds like tempting fate. If you choose that then strongly suggest doing it careful in case deciding to re-install.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There’s currently no drone from the Borla system it’s just there’s almost no sound, It’s very quiet. On my 07, 08 SS with a single cat, by doing a resonator delete and Borla mufflers gave a nice growl but some drone. Since the 96 has true dual it would be nice to get some growl to it and wanted to know if doing a muffler delete and leaving the resonators would make it obnoxious.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Yes it will be obnoxious, but i liked it and had it for years. Idle had Awesome rumble.
To me it literally sounded like the Gen Lee in Dukes of Hazzard when i got on it.

My car with muff delete first 10-20 secs.
-ALF out....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Nice! Like that sound! So you did a cat back, muff delete, x-pipe, resonators (square box)? What tubing size did you go with and was it the same all the way to tips? Any change on the front end (Intake)?

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Okay DTW..... car history is in cardomain link in SIG.
google search "Angelo's" exhaust thread" for my setup.

1. ran stock
2. ran stock with muff delete
3. ran setup that was installed in vid and pics in thread i mentioned above for you to search for.
-ALF out...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A

1. ran stock
3. ran setup that was installed in vid and pics in thread i mentioned above for you to search for.
-ALF out...

1. ran stock
-ALF out...
Nice write up! Are the rectangular boxes mufflers or resonators? And if I read it right, it's 2.5" all the way front to back? On the vid clip, is the 1st sound part with the muff delete and rectangular boxes or is that configuration sound at the very end of the video?

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Hi, Rev at start of clip is #2 rev at end of clip is #3
Spintech is mufflers, you can google them.
You see the resonators being cut off in the vid.

stock manifolds and cats, then 2.5" the rest of the way.
-ALF out...

·
Registered
8,470 Posts
OP

if your motor is stock and you have a Borla exhaust and want a more aggressive exhaust sound than pull the Borla mufflers and install SpinTech Pro Street mufflers.

Personally I am not a fan of poser exhausts if the motor is not built as they never sound like "muscle" just loud and raspy. Especially straight pipe muffler and resonator delete exhausts.

Resonators keep the drone away during Fwy driving

Exhaust sound is subjective so what you like others may not and vice versa

·
Registered
40 Posts
Bone stock Borla sounds decent outside the car when you romp on it. Before you tear it off, have someone do a standing 1/8th mile run with you standing outside the car and see if you like it first before you go messing with it. Borla engineered the system to breathe well on a stock engine while preventing drone inside the cabin. It's one of the nicest systems out there.

As already warned, these cars drone like crazy when you start messing with the exhaust. I installed an ATR Quad (no longer available) on one of my Caprices back in the 90s. It's a fully welded heavy-gauge 2.5" system from front to back with a H-pipe, blow-through mufflers and resonators. It sounded like a big-block at idle but droned like crazy even with the resonators they provided. I had to modify the turn-downs to exit straight out the back just to stop it from giving me a headache. They also sold an ATR Dual system which deleted the resonators. So as an experiment, I deleted the resonators for about a year when I was regularly racing it. Sounded good outside the car but the drone was even worse and my girlfriend at the time refused to ride in it. LOL. I still have the car with that exhaust... but back to running resonators again. I like the rumble at idle. But a stock LT1 with a H-pipe or X-pipe will always sound subdued unless you change the cam. Then things get fun.

If I built a new exhaust from scratch, I'd run 2.5 inch to the mufflers, then neck it down to 2.25" after the mufflers over the axle and out the back. This will not restrict flow because the exhaust has sufficiently cooled. Necking it down will also prevent some drone by increasing exhaust velocity. Using resonators would be quieter. Exit the pipes straight out the back, about 1" past the bumper (no turn-downs). A buddy of mine built a system like this for his '96 many years ago and it worked and sounded great with no resonators. I should have bought that system off of him when he sold the car. But I didn't have a spare stock exhaust to put back on to sell the car at the time. Oh well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts