Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So been driving with the Jegs/Summitracing system for a while now and they're just too loud.
CA passed a lame ass noise law and I really would like to avoid the possibility of getting a ticket. a friend just got one and he had to get his car inspected. Got a fine and was forced to replace his entire system back to stock setup. Sound cannot exceed 95dB I guess.
Not in love with current mufflers as they have kind of an odd sound to them. They're not bad, just not for me.
I've run magnaflow and flowmasters on other cars and don't want those either. Both of my Jeeps have flowmasters and the one with headers is hellish loud on fwy. Worried about that one too.

So can anybody recommend a quiet-ish muffler that still sounds good when mash pedal but isn't noisy as hell say below 3k?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Dynomax VT.
Only use if you have a crossover pipe, otherwise the valves will clank.

Dead quiet at low rpm/no freeway drone
Loud when you mash the go stick

·
Registered
8,056 Posts
I have the Summit/Jegs HeartThrob catback on my black car. While I favor their muffler design and construction I don't believe the muffs use any packing, so while they are not getting any 'louder' per se, I agree they are a touch loud.and only wear on your ears as time goes on. I already have an H- kit ready to add now with better weather. I had great results from inexpensive JC Whitney glasspaks as resonators on my last FWB, and will DEFINITELY be doing some again. You may want to consider cutting in a set before replacing those muffs altogether.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Well I've got a pair of the Spintech mufflers that were/ar a part of the full exhaust system Dan makes @ Clear Image Automotive. I had them on my car for approximately 8 years (The street version, not sportsman) that I was very happy with.

They're not a loud muffler with either headers or stock exhaust manifolds driving them, with both stock and high-flow catalytic converters. I actually went with the currently installed mufflers (Equivalent to MagnaFlow 3-chanber) because I wanted something a little louder after installing headers and high-flow catalytic converters.

The guys who installed my current system were the ones who removed and cut clean the mufflers as you see them. As you can see they're in EXCELLENT condition. They were only run on a southern vehicle, and saw no road salt or other deicing chemicals.

If you're interested, LMK.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Been using these on various cars for 35 years. You need 2 1/2 pipes and hangers welded on but they have high flow, low noise, and long life:

https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchResultsPageCmd?Ntt=17749&requestYear=&storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&year=&make=&model=&submodel=&engine=&Nrpp=&No=&persistYmm=false
I can't complain about Dynomax products, since I've had them as the tailpipes on the Caprice for a while, and then Dynomax on other rides as well.

But, I'll let mine go for a lot less than that!

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
8,488 Posts
Yeah the new exhaust ordinance here in CA is a real $ maker for the state. LEO's now have "task Force" assigned to ticket these cars. $1000 fine + you need to put the stock system back on and have it inspected and signed off on. 1976 and later cars IIRC

For a quiet muffler (one with just a little note) is the SpinTech Sportsman XL. Very Mellow. The ProStreets though are loud

My DynoMax were also on the mellow side but after 10 years they finally gave out so I put the SpinTech on. They are chambered and the DynoMax are straight through with glass matt surrounding the pipe inside.

I have a 67 Camaro with Flowmaster 40 series...those are loud

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 67 Camaro with Flowmaster 40 series...those are loud
TRUTH my Jeeps have flowmasters and like I mentioned worried about the one with headers & 3" pipes. It is LOUD!

Sux that all the tarded straight pipe on motorcycles idiots, gawd awful ricer exhaust, and folks with new muscle cars/trucks that are insanely loud created this law.

95dB isn't hard to hit...not very loud imho.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had great results from inexpensive JC Whitney glasspaks as resonators on my last FWB, and will DEFINITELY be doing some again. You may want to consider cutting in a set before replacing those muffs altogether.
That's a good idea. Resonators never occurred to me as it really doesn't drone on hwy. It's just too loud when accelerating for this stupid law.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah the new exhaust ordinance here in CA is a real $ maker for the state. LEO's now have "task Force" assigned to ticket these cars. $1000 fine + you need to put the stock system back on and have it inspected and signed off on. 1976 and later cars IIRC
Those same task forces are nailing folks with aftermarket parts that aren't legal as well. They nail a guy for loud exhaust and then tell 'em to open your hood.
Another potential nightmare for some folks. I do not want or need the hassle of a referee inspection!!

Referees really go over cars with a fine tooth comb, I believe they also compare .bins for tuning/changes.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Those same task forces are nailing folks with aftermarket parts that aren't legal as well. They nail a guy for loud exhaust and then tell 'em to open your hood.
Another potential nightmare for some folks. I do not want or need the hassle of a referee inspection!!

Referees really go over cars with a fine tooth comb, I believe they also compare .bins for tuning/changes.
Sieg Heil!!!! I'm trying to understand opening the hood. That's a search.> From an old time cop who believes in peoples rights.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They've always been able to pull over folks and check under the hood but it's rare...usually only if someone is blowing rich exhaust/smoke out tailpipe etc.
This sound law just gives them an easier way.

·
Registered
8,488 Posts
That's a good idea. Resonators never occurred to me as it really doesn't drone on hwy. .
I run DynoMax resonators behind the Sportsman XL's. Considerably quieter with the resonators/over axle pipe.

A glasspack for resonator would do the same.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
They've always been able to pull over folks and check under the hood but it's rare...usually only if someone is blowing rich exhaust/smoke out tailpipe etc.
This sound law just gives them an easier way.
I hate to wonder from your original post, but I get POed about violations such as this. I guess that's what happens when the Constitution is second to party.
Now. I would think that the resonators would deal with most of your situation.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I have not checked but i heard you can register your car in Maine by mail.
They don't care if you live there, they just want the $.

maybe the fuzz will leave you alone then ?

I think Dynomax is a good company that can get you what you need though, they are BTW just the performance branch of Walker.

-ALF out...

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have not checked but i heard you can register your car in Maine by mail.
They don't care if you live there, they just want the $.

maybe the fuzz will leave you alone then ?

I think Dynomax is a good company that can get you what you need though, they are BTW just the performance branch of Walker.

-ALF out...
Illegal in CA (been there done that) to have out of state plates.
That's just asking to get pulled over...folksndo it to avoid $ & smog testing.
CA don't like that!

I think as suggested try some resonators first. If that doesn't work out try diff mufflers.

·
Registered
405 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,295 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts