1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Chevy Caprice Classic 1996, 5.7 liter
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg So as I’m repairing one issue I might as well tackle another ... so my caprice classic’96 has the chrome like strips in the front & rear bumpers that I want to replace but unsure on the “how to”. This looks like a pretty straightforward job, but I want to ask the masses.

Also, I have a weird canister located underneath my battery box area, anyone know what this is and it’s purpose?

Thanks again and I have attached photos of MuleDawg and the strips I’m speaking of.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
[EDIT] Removed blatantly incorrect info [/EDIT]

The big coffee can under the battery box is the evaporative emissions canister. It's purpose is to collect gasoline vapors and draw them back into the engine to get burned instead of released into the atmosphere.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks brother and I will definitely tackle the bumper job once I find the demon that’s causing me issue with my lights ( see my other threads PLEASE!!). MuleDawg will ride again!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
No need to remove the bumper cover you can start on either side passenger/driver side, be sure to turn the steering wheel the opposite side you’ll be working on, there will a plastic cover behind the bumper that is part of the wheel well “remove it” also “remove the wheel well trim molding” look carefully there will be a little cutout where the chrome strip goes into then use a flap head screw driver and carefully start working the 3m double sided tape towards the front of the car, and once you get the chrome strip out of that cutout simply pull and you will remove the bumper molding, you will need an eraser wheel with a drill to remove the adhesive.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Brother, I’m gonna keep putting in more work on other issues with old MuleDawg.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts