Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done replacing the tophat seal and resealing the pan. they both leak. also the lines leak at the case.

1)I tried using an RTV sealent instead of a gasket on the pan. apparently this didnt work even tho i torqued it to spec. I am going to put a cork gasket on it now but i was wondering if there are any tips for making it less prone to leaking.

2) I just replaced the dipstick tube seal with a BRAND NEW seal. it seems to be "swollen" after i put the dipstick tube back in. can i put any type of sealant on the seal/case/tube?

3)the fittings on the cooler lines at the case leak really bad upon start up. if i take these off and wrap them in pipe tape will it stop that leak or will i have to do something else?

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Use the cork pan gasket and snug all the bolts. DO NOT tighten them until they stop turning, you will have gone way to far. The dipstick tube fits into it's rubber gromment tight and does not require any sealant. The short line from the brass junction block that holds the temperature sensor is notorious for cracking behind the fitting on the transmission side and thus leak. Because these are double-flared fittings (not pipe) teflon tape won't do you any good. You may need to replace this short line. Good Luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts