Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago my brakes began to get a little less responsive than normal. After a few more days of driving, they became incredibly soft and virtually useless under medium to hard braking. It was at that point I parked it and began looking into fixing it.

After checking out the engine bay and looking for leaks at the master cylinder, I found nothing. Then I carefully examined all of the hard lines from master cylinder to all 4 corners (including the flex lines at the front calipers). still no leaks.

The only thing I found that resembled any kind of breaking issue was the rear driver side wheel cylinder. When I bleed the brakes, I could get no air or fluid out of that cylinder. So I took the time to replace both rear wheel cylinders and they both load properly and function properly now. While I was at it, I also upgraded to power stops pad and drilled/slotted rotor kit. (lookin purrrrrrrty)

After bleeding whole system, took it for the test drive.
Right off that the bat, new install/repair seemed like night and day. Super responsive and strong. But after about 10 hard stops (recommended break in procedure for brake kit) the brakes went back to being mushy at hard stops!!!
I was so frustrated because it trally seemed like I had it figured out just moments before.

Hopefully the detailed explanation helps with you provid me with some ideas as I move forward.

Thanks in advance
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the fluid level in the MC dropping at all?
It may have dropped a bit, I can't remember how high I filled it. Fluid still looks a little dirty though. I'm going to rebleed the system as suggested. U should have seen how dark the old fluid was when I removed it SMH.

Brakes did seem to become more responsive as I continued driving through the day so I will just keep you all updated

·
Registered
“91” Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
223 Posts
How often should brake fluid be changed?
  • Moisture content. When the fluid’s moisture content is confirmed to be more than 3.5 %, the fluid should be replaced. ...
  • The copper test. When fluid is contaminated with moisture, the first metal that it corrodes is copper. ...
  • Leakage. By just checking the fluid reservoir, you can tell if the fluid level is enough or low. ...
  • Dirty fluid. Color may also be a great indicator of when fluids should be changed. The dirty fluid typically means it’s time for a suitable replacement.
How often should brake fluid be changed?
summitcountyvoice.com/change-brake-fluid/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts