Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may know, or have followed my previous thread found HERE, I have already completed laying my 92 Caprice on a 255/30 22 (not currently on there). But as my car has grown from just a suspension build to a full on paint/body/interior build I figured it would be better to continue the rest here.

Anyways, I have been working on my buddies '72 Corvette on airride:

So I have not made too much headway yet on my Caprice yet this winter, but here are just a few teasers...

This is where I left off

And here's what I have been doing this week. The whole interior will be smoothed, painted, and recovered. I am relocating the radio to the glovebox and shaved the dummy lights, radio, and molded a digital cluster into the dash.

The whole panel is black (obviously), you cant see the cluster until its backlit through the paint. The 4 mounting holes will be filled in and smoothed over also before complete. I will keep the pics coming as we go.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Cool. What are you using for seats?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As for right now the seats will be stock but re-covered. When we were building the suspension setup I really wanted to keep both bench seats. So far I have a bunch of pieces smoothed and painted silver, but have already decided to re shoot them another color, Ill post pics of those as they come. The dash pad on top is smoothed, molded the center and side defrost vents in so its all 1 piece but they are still functional.

Jeez, I need to invest in a real camera instead of these ****ty cellphones lmfao

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, she's coming along. Im hoping to have that vette painted this week so I can start full time on my Caprice.

Heres a list of my plans for this winter:

Strip down the upper paint to bare steel
Fix all body work/patch rust behind rear skirts
Block sand forever
Spray the whole deal, poss some airbrushing

I am unsure if I wan to shave to doors or not. I am shaving the trunk for sure, but not the hood emblem. The car will have a billet grille recessed behind an Impala surround with the bowtie shaved out (keeping the center cross bar in it). Also plan on smoothing the bumpers and sectioning them to bring them 1 1/2 - 1 3/4" to the body

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks... I havent done anything lately due to lack of funds (got engaged) and what not. I am however pooling up parts to swap the Airlift WEasy street out for an older Accuride setup, as well as shaved doors.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Nice work on the car and congrats. I just got engaged back in December. She understands that my vehicles are my hobbies...but.... even though she understands, she still wishes I wouldn't spend as much money on them.

Keep up the awesome work on that car and keep us updated with pics!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haha thanks guys. Yeah she understands. Her brother built a 31 Ford Sedan thats pretty sick, her dad owns the body shop that I paint for, so she's raised in a car guy/toy loving family. We will see once I get some wedding **** paid off, then ill be back onto the car full time. Id really like to have it done by then lol

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well its been a while for a good update, and still will be lol. But just to keep the thread updated, I have decided to go with the AccuRide system (Gen 1) instead of my already installed AutoPilot. The autopilot is very inaccurate, and frankly scares me. Its default setting (if the brain resets or loses power), is to re-learn the bags. First it airs out, then plays with the valves. So that means hypothetically at 70mph if the brain resets, it will lay my car out.... No Thanks!

Anyways, I have already purchased a Gen1 AccuRide setup, so before body and paint I will be installing that.

I am also in the market to do an engine swap on this car. Looking at a variety of 235-260 Straight 6 Chevrolet engines to swap for my 305. I could go with a LT1, LS1, or other V8, but frankly I like the look of the old school straight 6 with a triple carb setup. I don't believe its ever been done, so it may take a minute, but we'll get er!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I wanna see your ride in person when it's done. I'll take a road trip up to Michigan for that. And Bibbs, where in Chicago are you located? I'm right in NW Indiana.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys. Once its in paint and on wheels, I will start to hit shows and travel so you may not need to make a trip up here.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Awesome. I want to start going to more shows. Hopefully I'll be able to see your cars in person one day. My car isn't all decked out like your guys' cars; it looks mostly factory, just with a pretty decent SQL system.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.