Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the stock 60/40 with my car, and it was a little "flat". Cover was nice still, but the pad has seen better days. Here's 15 bucks, my first time ever into a seat, and 30 minutes later...

Passenger side (not fixed yet)

Driver side (fixed)

Any good suggestions to clean the fabric when I'm finished? That is all they'll need now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Great job on padding the seats. They look like new again.

I had a stain on the lower cover of my passenger seat. I think it was the black stuff they use to stick the clear water sheild to the door body before they put the door panel over it. I didn't think it would ever come out, so when I got the chance to buy the lower pass cover from Caprice owner parting out the same tan interior I bought the passenger seat. When I went to cut my drivers seat cover to turn it from a 60 into a 40 for the console, I stupidly had my template upside down and cut the material out backwards and messed up the only piece of cloth off the 60 extension big enough to become the new side panel for the seat.
So I brought out the spray bottle of Resolve fabric/carpet cleaner and the Bissle Little Green Machine and a soft nylon brush and the stain came out with a few applications and gently scrubbing with the soft brush.

Here is how I clean upholstry.
I fill the Bissle machine with just warm water. I spray the seat covers with the Resolve and work the foam around over the material with the soft brush, then I use the Bissle just to rinse and suck out all the Resolve and dirt that I can get out. In place of the Bissle, you can have a second spray bottle of warm water and use a shop vac to suck out the Resolve and dirt. You need to try and get out most of the Resolve because leaving a soap or other cleaning agent in the material will attract dirt later and the seat will become dingy again. I just keep spraying with the warm water and sucking it back out with the vac until most of the foaming stops.
Wait untill the fabric is completely dry then spray with Scotch Guard upholstry protectant. The cleaning process will have removed most of the Scotch Guard that GM put on the seats and with the last B-body made in 96, I'd guess that time has broke down most of the original Scotch Guard anyway.

If anyone needs a 95 Med Beige Cloth front center arm rest (no storge/no cupholders) make offer, because I will not use it for anything.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the cleaning info. I padded the passenger side tonight, so now they just need cleaned up and installed!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sfriesen: Nice job on the steroid injection!
Did you guys get together a few weeks ago here in Wichita? Are you doing it again?
I just found some leather seats for my wagon, so I'm pretty excited to give my ride a new look next week!
Simon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a bissel machine as well. If the stain is really bad, and you don't want to clean 4-5 times...it can be done in 2-3 times if you dilute the water with bleach(light colored fabrics only) and don't let it sit for more than 3-5 minutes. Otherwise the machine i have cleans the carpet in my house just as well as floor mats, carpet, etc...I just spray the cleaner(have many different scents), let it sit, then 'vacuum' it up with the machine and rinse with water or water with bleach a few times and suck it all up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well we've got a guy coming soon to clean the house carpets. I'm going to ask him if I yank the seats out of the car if he'll do the seats and carpet real fast for like 20 bucks pocketed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What did you stuff 'em with?

I'd like to add a little lumbar support to the Buick.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went to the local upholstry shop and picked up some 1" thick dense foam seat padding. It's what he recomended.

Then I cut the padding to the desired shapes

For my seat:
1 large rectangle with two round corners (front pad)
1 square pad (center)
2 smaller rectangular pads (side supports)

Then I used a razor to cut a 45" edge all the way around them to lose that corner (I didn't want it to show up as a line)

Under my stock cover there is some mid-evil velcro, so when I placed the 4 pads in and stretched it all back down, it holds up great, like a new seat.

Hope this helps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
why did you wait until you were done to clean? just throw the covers in the washing machine

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.