Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got this thing. Fixed the pass. front window as soon as I bought it. I gotta fix the oil leak, retint window...check everything else, oil change, wheel alignment, brakes...etc etc. I wanna get it running real good.
LT1
G80
140alt

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey any1 looking? I have a question about the B4U.
Since it has the LT1 does that mean it has an opti? If so, does the waterpump need to be removed to change? I also read where some guy had to removed the waterpump to change cap/rotor.

I dunno, I am basing experiences off my 91 caprice. And searches on this are for mainly the SS B-Bods. I basically want to change the plugs, wires and the other surrounding components.

While we are on maintenace, Ive found out that the air filter box has oil in it and from what Ive read its from pcv lines being clogged.

Also during acceleration only, hot or cold, the car kinda sputters...not sure if its and exhaust leak or what.

Also smell anti-freeze but no leak :confused:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you look behind the water pump and see a black disk with spark plug wires attached to it,then you have the Optispark.And yes,you have to remove the water pump to change it (DAYUM ROCKET SCIENTIST AT GM,thanks a lot for making working on the motor friggin' difficult) :mad:
And I smell anti-freeze after running my car,but no leaks... :confused: ,and this is been going on for 2 months and the level hasn't changed.
The sputtering I think it's your ignition coil going.That will be on the front left side of the motor,below the valve cover,mounted on the head,a transformer-looking piece with 2 plugs on it and a spark plug wire(goes to the Optispark)Pretty easy to change using a 9/16 deep socket and a 9/16 box wrench and a flathead screwdriver.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so the b4u does have a optispark, which is where the 8 plus wires go to? does my car have cap/rotor or disributor? :confused: because i thought all that stuff went to the ignition system.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
doh, i should prolly replace the waterpump too even if it seems ok. its gonna hit 100k and i dunno what theyve done...the WP on my 91 went out around 75k though.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that is what most guys do. Replace w/p and Opti together. Probably should do wires too while your down there.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by chevmdnss:
I think that is what most guys do. Replace w/p and Opti together. Probably should do wires too while your down there.
exactly..i was thinking since i wanna do plugs/wires...i should do the opti/wp too...
anything else? does dal have ac delco wires and bosch plugs? i know the opti is about $200

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey man, have you snapped a pic of this bad boy or what? I wanna see it!

about your tune up on your LT1, use AC Delco pulgs. The wires? you could buy AC delco wires but they will be expensive. Accel is an option.

Its good insurace to change the waterpump and opti if you have the cash to throw at it! change the opti seal also while your in there.

Quick note: you will have to remove the harmonic balancer to be able to remove the OPTI, but NOT the HUB it attaches to!! The Hub requires a special tool or home made one to remove and install it. Once the balancer is off and the Opti unbolted, turn the hub untill the Opti finds a free spot to come off!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have pics but region of doom seems to be down....for good? i might have to sign up to another host...But I just wanna get rid of the leaks if I can find them, stop the ticking whatever it is and get rid of the blowby

its driving me nuts...good thing is the car runs great...i cant imagine what the tuneup and other fixes will do.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I dunno if I am missing 2 bolts in the 4th pic or what? But i see two empty threaded holes...also does that look like tranny fluid leaking? and then the oil leak in the last pic...?? :confused:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, super clean! and tan interior! I too have tan in my 9C1, and yours is super clean. whats with the 91-92 tails?

The 4L60E (the tranny you have) has other applications, so it will have other bosses (holes) for different systems. those two threaded holes in the pic are not used in your car.

Yes, your tranny is leaking because it looks like someone used RTV on it!! I never could seal a tranny that way. My fix with a cork gasket was to use "Gas-ga-cinch" and glue the gasket to the pan and put it dry to the case with the FSM torque specs. Solved it!!!

Use a engine degreaser to clean all that oil and start with a fresh look on where the engine oil leak may be leaking from. changing the pan gasket it not easy, but if it leaks from that weap hole in the inpection cover suspect the rear main seal worn. That will require the tranny to be removed, but is fixable! compared to the old pre 87 two piece rear main seals.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dang thats sad about the tranny leak and the rear main seal...i was hoping it wasnt a rear main seal leak...i dunno, but with this one I think I am gonna take it in to a shop.
Do you think a tranny system flush would be ok? i heard about not doing this because it may cause more trouble then help. :confused:

i put the 91 tails because I wanted them on there, the chrome rings on the old ones were bad and I thought id switch it up, get the chrome flowing more

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i got it looked at by a place many ppl have recommended....I actually found that the drivers side top corner area of the radiator has a crack...so its barely leaking there........is there a way to fix the crack? or should i just replace it? I was thinking aluminum..of course the guy said to use a OEM and it would be $300 for everything...But i should be able to tackle this myself.

And he also said I have an exhaust leak, either the gasket or the manifold....said it wouldnt be more then $350 I believe, but could be $150 if its the gasket.

He said the tranny needs a gasket and the rear main seal is wore as well...He sent me to a tranny shop Ive heard lots about as well...So the rear main, tranny seal and labor should be about $400 he said

So hopefully I wont spend over $750

On a side note...some1 hit my car in the parking lot....i didnt find out til I had left and went to another store to work....I drove all the way back and remembered a business card I threw on the ground...So i looked for almost 30 mins on a windy day....Not only did I find $20 blowing in the air...I found the car about 300 feet away...and he wrote "please call me i backed into your car"

so all in all, the money i get from this guy should cover the maintenance...hopefully im a get more, just sucks because the paint wont match...so i guess i might give it a quick paint sooner then I thought.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Recommend replace the radiator. OEM would be great if its not too expensive, napa makes a great one too.

My LT1 had exhuast manifold gasket leak on both sides (very common on LT1s) and I did it myself for about 30 bucks on a Autozone set of fel-pros. You must soak the bolts very well, hours before! don't want to break a bolt becuase its in the tight spot to begin with.

Not a bad price for the fix on tranny leak and rear main seal. thats parts include labor right?

sucks you got bumped is it bad?, cool you found 20 bucks. and he left you a note? I have never heard anyone actually doing that!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by Caprice93:
Recommend replace the radiator. OEM would be great if its not too expensive, napa makes a great one too.

My LT1 had exhuast manifold gasket leak on both sides (very common on LT1s) and I did it myself for about 30 bucks on a Autozone set of fel-pros. You must soak the bolts very well, hours before! don't want to break a bolt becuase its in the tight spot to begin with.

Not a bad price for the fix on tranny leak and rear main seal. thats parts include labor right?

sucks you got bumped is it bad?, cool you found 20 bucks. and he left you a note? I have never heard anyone actually doing that!
Yeah i just went to the tranny shop and its $450 cash for rear main seal, tranny gasket, some seal and rear tranny seal (basically 4 seals) and some o-rings and lil things. Thats labor and parts...
hopefully the exhaust leak is just the gasket...and the radiator was $300 installed OEM...So that would be about $1000 if I dont do anywork.

Yea the guy left a note, i gotta quote for $691$80 for one corner lense...WOW. $365 for body labor, $130 for paint labor and $100 for paint supplies...haha...what a joke...I am just gonna ask the guy for $700....then fix the leaks

1 - 20 of 29 Posts