Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My 96 Impala SS won't start... My car just turns & turn but won't start. I can hear the fuel pump buzzing when the key is turned on but it just won't run. It started once then I drove it a little and then couldn't get it back started again, Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to remedy this problem? Trying first to correct it before sending it to a mechanic, I've never done anything to this car in my area that didn't cost at least $500....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I suggest starting with the basics.
Was the check engine light on when it was running? If so then you need to know the code.

You can check for spark at the coil with a spark tester from you local auto parts store. Remove the coil wire from the distributor, and check it at the end of the coil wire. If you have spark, then check at the end of some plug wires you can get to.

If you have spark getting to the plugs, then you can move on since even if some were not getting spark, the motor would at least fire and run badly!

Next is fuel. Just hearing the fuel pump buzzin does not guarantee that your cylinders are getting fuel.

You could try to spray a little starting fluid in the Throttle body (remove elbow open throttle blades, spray in and replace elbow) If it fires then you can say that your problem is fuel related.

A "cranks but does not run" problem can be alot of different things. Crank position sensor for example. So the above is just a basic to get a handle on it!

·
Registered
1995 Impala SS
4 Posts
I suggest starting with the basics.
Was the check engine light on when it was running? If so then you need to know the code.

You can check for spark at the coil with a spark tester from you local auto parts store. Remove the coil wire from the distributor, and check it at the end of the coil wire. If you have spark, then check at the end of some plug wires you can get to.

If you have spark getting to the plugs, then you can move on since even if some were not getting spark, the motor would at least fire and run badly!

Next is fuel. Just hearing the fuel pump buzzin does not guarantee that your cylinders are getting fuel.

You could try to spray a little starting fluid in the Throttle body (remove elbow open throttle blades, spray in and replace elbow) If it fires then you can say that your problem is fuel related.

A "cranks but does not run" problem can be alot of different things. Crank position sensor for example. So the above is just a basic to get a handle on it!
He had all the answer I wonder if he is still around here

1 - 3 of 3 Posts