Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my Caprice got stolen a couple weekends ago and went for a joyride. It was called in at 5am saturday morning cause the guy was doing donuts in an intersection. I live in Laramie, WY which is a pretty unassuming town and MOST of the time take my keys with me. For whatever reason that night, I forgot and left them in there. So yeah, it's partly my fault. It looks like they stole it after the bars closed, drove it down some dirt roads or parking lot, used a piece of pipe on the window (not sure why) drove back into town and did about 15 donuts in a residential intersection. The guy drove it so hard the serpentine belt came off. When the power steering went out i think he parked it finally, TOOK THE LICENSE PLATES, and left.
The bad part is ( besides it being stolen and trashed)
1. reports said he was at that intersection for 20-30 minutes
2. When i finally called dispatch asking where my car was, the cops came to my house and ACCUSED ME of doing this. Why would I trash my own car, take the plates, let it get towed, and then call the police to ask about it?
3. the guy was on foot with witnesses giving descriptions of him and they still couldn't find him (Laramie population: 30,000).
When all was said and done, the back tires are bald, plates stolen, window broke out, quarter panel and door bashed in, transmission has big delay when going from park/drive/reverse. Impound fee was $250.
Did I learn my lesson about leaving keys in the car? yes. FML

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, the car has long tube headers, no cats and summit turbos so it's not that hard to hear it.

I have a question about the serpentine belt. I tried putting it back on and CANNOT get it back on even with the tensioner all the way down. Could it have got so hot, came off, and over cooled or shrunk it? Should I get a new one?

·
Registered
339 Posts
....damn looks like they had a great time! but yeah that sucks man...sorry to see some **** like that happen to a fellow caprice owner.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yes get a new belt... no telling what happened with the belt, you know it got too hot for sure. If that fails it could be the tensioner it self. I've had to change that on my old SS

That sucks!... can't believe what people get away with and then they try to blame you.

WOW

Just change all the fluids including the tranny fluid and filter, sounds like he cooked the fluids and tires.

Good luck man

·
Registered
581 Posts
The quarter panel doesn't look too wrinkled, maybe able to have it paintless dent removed or gently form it back into shape, or at least close too it so it isn't as obvious. If you need some rear doors I have some in that exact color sitting in indoor storage but I don't know what shipping of them would be from Chicago to Wyoming would be. The quarter window should be an easy find, but will probably want it professionally replaced because of the adhesive used between it and the sheet metal. - Peter

·
Registered
399 Posts
WTF. That's terrible. Why would they want to hurt the Caprice like that? I hope they find the person who did this and make him pay for the damage. I can't believe it took that long for the police to be called out. They were at the intersection for a long time doing donuts.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I really appreciate your comments! I'm not sure what I'll do with it for now. I have insurance on my Jeep too so I have an extra ride for now. On top of that I'm working part time and a full time graduate student with little to no time and little to no money. I might just get it up to my parents house in South Dakota and wait for some more time and money maybe in the spring. The car kinda needs a bunch of little things anyway (window switches, heater/fan controls inside, O2 sensors, and I'm done taking that digital speedo out to clean the contact points!!!)

So for now, I guess I'll drive the Heep around. BUT I LOVE MY CAR!!!! :(

It might be time to make it donor car. It has a great frame and no rust anywhere. Maybe take the body off and drop something old on it? A Belair or something? Or I have always wanted to do a sleeper V8 S-10.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts