Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm finishing up replacing the rear brakes on my 95 wagon and I've decided that I'm not getting every last bubble out without fixing everything.

When I push the pedal I get a rushing air sound akin to an open mouthed exhale. The brakes still work, and the pedal isn't particularly hard to press, so I don't really think my brake booster is failing, but most of what I'm reading is centered on that part.

I was just wondering if there was anyone out there that had this syptom and cured it, since I can't seem to get a straight answer out of the internet.

Perhaps this is normal, but I don't hear this in every other car I get into that has vacuum assisted brakes.

Thoughts? Concerns? Make fun of me?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Ok, I'm finishing up replacing the rear brakes on my 95 wagon and I've decided that I'm not getting every last bubble out without fixing everything.

When I push the pedal I get a rushing air sound akin to an open mouthed exhale. The brakes still work, and the pedal isn't particularly hard to press, so I don't really think my brake booster is failing, but most of what I'm reading is centered on that part.

I was just wondering if there was anyone out there that had this syptom and cured it, since I can't seem to get a straight answer out of the internet.

Perhaps this is normal, but I don't hear this in every other car I get into that has vacuum assisted brakes.

Thoughts? Concerns? Make fun of me?

That's exactly how it started for me. Funny too that it happened after you did brake work. Mine happened just after I installed the stealth bolt. Yes, it was the booster. It gets progressively worse. You may get lucky and have a split in the booster hose or a bad check valve. More likely, it's the booster failing. The hissing noise is air being pushed through a hole/leak in the diaphram inside the booster. It can't be disassembled and repaired (to my knowledge anyhow). The hole is why you'll need to replace it sans either of the 2 possibilities listed above. gl

1 - 2 of 2 Posts