Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two months ago, I had a friend install a pair of Moog poly end links. The other day when the car was up on jack stands, we noticed that they were BOTH gone. How could this be? My friend says there must be some other issue with the suspension that caused it, but someone else told me the end links probably just weren't tightened enough when they were installed.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,024 Posts
Most occasions where I've found a bolt completely missing at some point after I've worked on something it's usually been where I've thought to line up and rough set the assembly first before torquing everything home, ---- and then recall having 'forgotten' that last little detail.

For reference, I had an end pull right through the A-arm hole once from extra strain using hiem joints. Otherwise, I imagine if the ends were incorrectly too long it could put the bar in bind to the frame at full travel. But, if you find no evidence of binding, twisting or defect with the bar or arm or other susp. parts then count your blessings and just replace the ends. I'm sure there's a spec on torque, but a rough guide is tighten until bushings compress to at least the washers' diameter.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to clarify:

Is it not possible that worn out shocks, worn out springs, or an alignment issue would cause this?

I definitely drive the car hard, but that's why I bought poly end links. If I was an old lady, I would have bought basic end links for $2.

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
Just to clarify:

Is it not possible that worn out shocks, worn out springs, or an alignment issue would cause this?

Those worn suspension parts (shocks, springs) would "contribute" to wear on the sway bar end links.....but the fact the end links are missing not long after install SCREAMS they were not tightened properly

I would put a new set on, tighten properly and drive.....and take a look later to see if anything has changed, which it should not have.

when installing new end links...the car needs to be sitting on its tires with suspension "loaded" before tightening them

FWIW NAPA carries poly endlinks

Attachments

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when installing new end links...the car needs to be sitting on its tires with suspension "loaded" before tightening them
My car was on jack stands when mine were installed.

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
My car was on jack stands when mine were installed.
,,, with the suspension just hanging the end links when installed did not get tightened as they would have with suspension loaded. Once the car was dropped to ground the end links would have been lose.

Car ramps would be the way to go next time

1 - 8 of 8 Posts