Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car jiggles. You can feel it and see it in the seats. I just got brand new wheels and tires and have had them rebalanced 3 times. They even rotated the tires on the rim this time before they rebalanced them. But from 50 to 65 mph, it jiggles. I haven't had them do a runout test yet.

This car was very well kept up, but it does have 49K miles on the original suspension components, including shocks. Everything seems fine. Could it be driveshaft balance or something? Or is it just a B-body thing? My wagon doesn't do it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Shake down the front end looking for bad wheel bearings and other stuff. When they balance the tires make sure they are not just static balancing which is where you only use 1 side of the wheel to stick weights on. You want them to be duel planed balanced so there are weights on the back and right behind the front spokes. Also have them do a roadforce test. You might have a bulge in the tire or a belt sep.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I'm guessing a bent rim in the rear. Check for runout.

·
Registered
355 Posts
My car use to do this, it got kinda bad, so i sold the rims and the problem was fixed.
I got the problem rims here. Good thing the caddy is a creeper.

Check your spindle nut. I had one that the cotter pin was half broken and the nut was loose. The vibration I was experiencing was around 40 mph and would smooth out at 50-60 mph. Worth a check could have ended up pretty bad.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I got the problem rims here. Good thing the caddy is a creeper.

Check your spindle nut. I had one that the cotter pin was half broken and the nut was loose. The vibration I was experiencing was around 40 mph and would smooth out at 50-60 mph. Worth a check could have ended up pretty bad.
Lucky it didnt weld it self up, boss tried to make me grind a spindle down after the bearings welded it them selves.

·
Registered
406 Posts
check wheels sensors

·
Registered
880 Posts
He didn't say he felt it in the wheel though. That he would feel. He didn't mention feeling it under braking, either. So I'm still gonna guess a bent or out-of-round rear rim or bad tire.

What "wheels sensors"? :confused:

·
Registered
581 Posts
SSon22s said:
check wheels sensors
Huh?

Mine does the same thing. I jacked the rear up and set the car on a couple of jack stands, put it in drive and saw that there is a slight wobble in the wheel/tire. So, I guess I have a tweeked axle on the passenger' side that's the cause of my shimmy.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Damn I love this forum!!! Someone always seems to have the same problems I have at the same time! My car is doing the same thing. Bout two weeks ago on my way to work 3 of the studs broke off on my right front wheel. I ended up getting it towed to work. I put new studs on it and tightened the nut up on the bearing. After this the left side started acting up. So I tightened up the right side. The car shimmy's from side to at low speeds but at high speeds it has a vibration. It's pissing me off!! I think the wheels need to be balanced. Im gonna take the rims off and then wee what happpens. I need everything tight up under there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.