Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd share my spreadsheet on what I spent to do a T56 conversion and the gears.

I found a guy on craigslist that blew up his motor in a 94 firebird. So I was able to get all the parts I needed, even connectors and the pcm (for trade-in). I didn't HAVE to spend the $ on a rebuild, but wanted the security and longevity.

PART PRICE TOTAL $
T56 Conversion
T56,pedals, flywheel, all parts from 94 F body $900.00
AutoZone Clutch, T.O.bearing,Pilot $233.19
Pedals with switches $0.00
New GM Slave cylinder 12559912 $145.00
Misc Bolts $19.00
CIA Tubular X member CM7003 $280.00
Oil, misc small parts $20.00
Resurface flywheel $45.00
Pilot Bearing GM 14061685 $12.00
GM flywheel bolts 12337973 $15.00
F2B Kit $426.00
HiPo rebuild - Rick at rkt56.com $1,300.00
Reprogram PCM - add rev lockout $15.00
new flywheel - advanced auto parts $105.00
McLeod double friction clutch $205.00
Console Modification $75.00
$3,795.19 $3,795.19

Rear Gears
Pinion Snubber extension $11.00
Fluids (change at 500miles) 4qts synthetic $42.00
4.11 kit/truetrac/install kit $599.00
axle bearings/seals (Timken) $40.24
Dennys drive shaft $480.00
Extended Ctrl Arms (Currie) $631.00
Control arms installation $106.00
Randy's install $160.00
Reluctor $135.00
PCMforless programming (remove AIR) $140.00
$2,333.24 $2,333.24

·
Registered
557 Posts
Man! That adds up fast. I spent (considerably) less, but I happened upon a couple of outstanding deals and was able to easily sell all of my take-off parts. I also spent over a year collecting parts waiting for the right deals to come along.

Thanks for sharing - that gives someone considering the swap some hard numbers to stare at. It costs 30-50% of what these things are worth just to swap in a stir stick! And I'd do it all over again, even at full price.

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
Just thought I'd share my spreadsheet on what I spent to do a T56 conversion and the gears.

PART PRICE TOTAL $
T56 Conversion
T56,pedals, flywheel, all parts from 94 F body $900.00
AutoZone Clutch, T.O.bearing,Pilot $233.19

Resurface flywheel $45.00
Pilot Bearing GM 14061685 $12.00

new flywheel - advanced auto parts $105.00
McLeod double friction clutch $205.00

$3,795.19 $3,795.19
You listed two clutches, two flywheels and two T/O bearings ;) So which parts did you use or did you go back and upgrade?

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Thanks Ron that is good info so someone knows what they are getting into:)

Mcleod DF disc is the best in my eyes, just did an install for someone and it is an awesome clutch.
Ron had troubles with the first disc and clutch setup that he had, and he can elaborate on that one, hence the two disc's or clutches.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, what Mike said. I had clutch chatter problems which I think was a bad pressure plate from Advanced Auto. So while in there, I did buy a new flywheel in case mine had a "hot spot" contributing to the chatter and also went with the McLeod dual friction clutch. I plan to try to sell the new advanced auto clutch for a few bucks.

One T/O bearing, but exchanged it with the first PP/Clutch. I did buy a GM pilot bearing instead of using the one that came in the kit - may be the same thing, but it was worth $12.

If I take it apart again, I may go with the GM T/O bearing. Looking back, I never should have bought the advanced auto kit and just found a good PP separately.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While this does seem pricey, remember this is a transmission that will hold up to at least 450hp/450torque and has a 1 year warranty. Also everything else is new and the clutch should hold up for a while.

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
Looking back, I never should have bought the advanced auto kit and just found a good PP separately.
All clutch brands use a "Valeo" or clone of one and just repaint it. The advanced auto or autozone one would have been the same PP (most likely clone made in China).

There are a few clutch companies claiming to make the PP "improved or x% more clamp force". SPEC does claim they modify but won't say specifically how. ClutchNet also claims 30% more clamp force but did explain how and I went to the shop to watch.

With that said I would think any aftermarket "performance" clutch company is capable of doing these modifications (adjusting pivot angle of PP diaphram) but any auto store brand "replacement" clutch would not. McLeod told me they, at this time, do not modify the LT1 pull type PP (so why pay the $ they want for a complete kit just buy their PP). I don't know what RAM, LUK do. CenterForce adds their slideing weight deal which is supposed to increase clamp force.

If you do buy a "performance" PP by itself pay for one that is modified for higher clamp force. Other wise just get a auto part store clutch kit and use a McLeod disc and save the $

One brand vs the other "may" offer a better TO bearing with their kit but from the AutoZone, ZOOM, SPEC they all had a "made in china" TO bearing. My ClutchNet has no markings but I assume it to is China.

The "GM" $120 one....I have not seen and I "think" I read on this forum (Bigduh??) was made in China...maybe someone can confirm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts