Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier today, I took my 1971 Eldorado out for a drive to stretch it's "legs" a little bit and ran into my old buddy from school. He has a 95 caprice and just recently turned it into an SS clone. Well I got to talking B and D bodies with him and he said I Wounder how close it would be if we raced? I said hmmmmm, I don't know? I always knew my Eldo would have a good chance with racing my Fleetwood, so I thought now would be a pretty close example. Needless to say we found the nearest on ramp and lined up. I honked my "barge" horn twice and then we both took off! He stayed about half a car length in front of me until about 40 Mph and then I sailed past him and slowed down after hitting about 130 mph. My car only says 120 Mph so the needle disapeared into the dash board, HeHeHe. Good times!

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now now Chris, Street racing is ILLEGAL... Especially at speeds in excess of 120mph... Don't let me here of this again... (Nice kill!!! Go Caddies!!!) ;)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for ur concern man it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Oh and yes, Caddies rule!!!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What were they calling the platform for them old Eldos? Was it still 'E' even back then? It would be interesting to know where they made the Toro and Eldo back then, and even where the RWD Riv was at that same time. I believe the '79-'85 Riv-Eldo-Toro were only made at Linden, NJ -- yes/no?

Oh, thread-related comment: I'm personally torn between every red-blooded American's right to streetrace despite all the dangers, and, my hope that every one of them doesn't have a wreck but gets caught and ticketed for $10/mile over as a 'license fee' for the priveledge.
::nodding head::

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was the 71 a ragtop?

I know it is a front driver, but does it have the 472 V8 or the 502 in it? I've heard those old 472 V8's were pretty quick and made gobs of torque.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not trying to be a dick here, but it would be a 500 not a 502. The 502 is a crate motor, while the 500 Cad was a production motor. Sorry but I hear people saying this all the time and even though it is close, its not correct.
Good kill. BTW how much does your Eldo weigh?
Josh

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any details on the 9C1? Was it in a proper state of tune?

I'll be REALLY surprised if the Caddy turns anything in the 14's (assuming 14's since it did blow the LT1 away). Further, IIRC the Eldos had a 0-60 time of just over 8 seconds. Now, considering that older cars suffered from poor launches, I'd estimate the 8 second 0-60 would yield a high 15's 1/4 mile time further down the track.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by BlackestSS:
I'm not trying to be a dick here, but it would be a 500 not a 502. The 502 is a crate motor, while the 500 Cad was a production motor. Sorry but I hear people saying this all the time and even though it is close, its not correct.
Good kill. BTW how much does your Eldo weigh?
Josh
I am With you on this! I have a 75 Coupe Deville with a 500 (Would Rather have a 472 but that's another story) Everytime someone sees my motor They say 502! Or 501, Not 500 as is written on the Catilyst! Then I try and explain it to them but they walk away acting like I am trying to sell them snake oil. People Know So many things that just isn't so.

~HJ

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by 96roadmaster:
Any details on the 9C1? Was it in a proper state of tune?

I'll be REALLY surprised if the Caddy turns anything in the 14's (assuming 14's since it did blow the LT1 away). Further, IIRC the Eldos had a 0-60 time of just over 8 seconds. Now, considering that older cars suffered from poor launches, I'd estimate the 8 second 0-60 would yield a high 15's 1/4 mile time further down the track.
My Caddy Does 0-60 in 12 Sec's (Accurate only to the Odometer and a stopwatch) My car is a Pig, but a Lighter, pre Emission tuned Eldo could be pretty repectable.

Want to see an Interesting website Check this out:
http://www.cad500parts.com/

~HJ

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, the 9c1 has 97,000 miles and has cold air intake and flowmasters, runs great. My Eldo has a street avenger 850 double pumper carb, K&N air filter, 3 inch Exhaust pipeing with H pipe and magnaflow mufflers. Upgraded ignition and timing, with performance timing chain, water pump and pulleys. It also has an AC and smog delete. My Eldo came stock with 375 HP and 550 ftlbs of torque! It weighs about 4700 lbs. I would guess it's pushing over 400 hp. But some people might disagree and say like 275 H.p. NET, yeah right! Heres some info on the worlds largest production motor! He He He, Cadillac who woulda figured.http://100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1970/cad70e.htm

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice! I owned a 1970 Coupe Deville Convertible with the 472.. it was fast, but not nearly as fast as my Fleetwood.

Now, my Dad's 1970 Electra 225 Convertible with the 455 (stage II) can smoke my Fleetwood any day of the week.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by chris joyce:
well, the 9c1 has 97,000 miles and has cold air intake and flowmasters, runs great. My Eldo has a street avenger 850 double pumper carb, K&N air filter, 3 inch Exhaust pipeing with H pipe and magnaflow mufflers. Upgraded ignition and timing, with performance timing chain, water pump and pulleys. It also has an AC and smog delete. My Eldo came stock with 375 HP and 550 ftlbs of torque! It weighs about 4700 lbs. I would guess it's pushing over 400 hp. But some people might disagree and say like 275 H.p. NET, yeah right! Heres some info on the worlds largest production motor! He He He, Cadillac who woulda figured.http://100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1970/cad70e.htm
Woops, no mention of the mods

That Caddy's gotta be one quick surprise!

Speaking of old Cadillacs, I'm currently in love with the 67 Coupe deVilles. Such sweet lines :cool:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
[/qb][/QUOTE]I am With you on this! I have a 75 Coupe Deville with a 500 (Would Rather have a 472 but that's another story)

~HJ [/QB][/QUOTE]
What what what !!!!! Would rather have a 472, what's the reason behind that?
Josh

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by BlackestSS:
I am With you on this! I have a 75 Coupe Deville with a 500 (Would Rather have a 472 but that's another story)

~HJ [/QB][/QUOTE]
What what what !!!!! Would rather have a 472, what's the reason behind that?
Josh [/QB][/QUOTE]

My generation 500 is the "Fuel Economy" motor, no joke! The 472 has Factory rated at about 350-372 HP. My Car has 190 Horsepower. :( Well I personally don't care becasue I don't race my caddy if I had a choice I would go with the 472. The 500's in the earlier eldo's had higher compression heads and developed more power. I am at works so I can't give you specifics but if your looking for a Caddy motor for your hotrod, 472 or early 70's eldo 500

~HJ

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I forgot about them vipers with the 505. Oh well, the Caddy held it's title for over 35 years anyways. It's the only front wheel drive luxury car with a 500cid tho. My tranny is beefed up a bit in mine and it truley screams. It is only a 3 speed but will lay about a 10 ft drag mark in second gear! Im going to try and get some videos of it for some of you guys to watch. That Caddy makes me laugh every time I drive it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts