Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im sure you guys have heard it before here, but my hood does not pop when i pull the latch. stretched cable? i thought so too. nope, new cable was installed, worked for a week, and then back to the hood that needs 2 people to open. out of all the things that bother me with my car, this has to be number 1. can anyone please help with this?

thanks

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
sometimes it gets all grimey under there so you could clean it up a bit and make sure the cable is placed right. happened to me thats how i fixed it i pulled the release and push it back down and the hood pops up

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
i had this problem.
all you gotta do is open it and spray WD40 on it and i swear you wont have that problem

·
Registered
581 Posts
WD40 isn't a lubricant at least in a longer term sense will help get it unstuck though. After you get the hood open use a good quality synthetic grease which will stay put. Lube it up and problem should be a thing of the past. Before I lubed the latch up on my car, I had to do some rough surface driving to help dislodge the hood from the latch.- Peter

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
It really does dent up the hood though. Lube that beeotch up!

Also, take a good look at the mechanism. These cars have been around a while, might need to file things a little.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
Mine doesnt open when I pull the handle, I just gotta go the hood and "Phonzie" it. Ayyyyyyyy
That's what I do.

And BTW......it's "Fonzie" :p ....... cwm2

KW

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
This will go against everything you think about that latch.

A friend in Chino Valley AZ who swears that he worked for GM for 40 years, etc. etc. said...

Completely clean the mechanism, remove all grease, lube, dirt etc. then leave it the hell alone. It will work fine.

I did so and have never had that thing stick again. No lube, grease, nothing but dust on that latch and loop on the hood and it works great.

·
Registered
400 Posts
WD40 isn't a lubricant at least in a longer term sense will help get it unstuck though. After you get the hood open use a good quality synthetic grease which will stay put. Lube it up and problem should be a thing of the past. Before I lubed the latch up on my car, I had to do some rough surface driving to help dislodge the hood from the latch.- Peter

Exactly!

·
Registered
429 Posts
This will go against everything you think about that latch.

A friend in Chino Valley AZ who swears that he worked for GM for 40 years, etc. etc. said...

Completely clean the mechanism, remove all grease, lube, dirt etc. then leave it the hell alone. It will work fine.

I did so and have never had that thing stick again. No lube, grease, nothing but dust on that latch and loop on the hood and it works great.

This is what I did. Pulled it off, used the hose to clean all the grime off. then soaked it with WD40 simply because I had used water to clean it. Works like new now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts