Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

my hood wont pop and its driving me crazy!

3K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  EvilCaprice 
#1 ·
so im sure you guys have heard it before here, but my hood does not pop when i pull the latch. stretched cable? i thought so too. nope, new cable was installed, worked for a week, and then back to the hood that needs 2 people to open. out of all the things that bother me with my car, this has to be number 1. can anyone please help with this?

thanks

#6 ·
WD40 isn't a lubricant at least in a longer term sense will help get it unstuck though. After you get the hood open use a good quality synthetic grease which will stay put. Lube it up and problem should be a thing of the past. Before I lubed the latch up on my car, I had to do some rough surface driving to help dislodge the hood from the latch.- Peter

#8 ·
It really does dent up the hood though. Lube that beeotch up!

Also, take a good look at the mechanism. These cars have been around a while, might need to file things a little.

#10 ·
This will go against everything you think about that latch.

A friend in Chino Valley AZ who swears that he worked for GM for 40 years, etc. etc. said...

Completely clean the mechanism, remove all grease, lube, dirt etc. then leave it the hell alone. It will work fine.

I did so and have never had that thing stick again. No lube, grease, nothing but dust on that latch and loop on the hood and it works great.

#12 ·
This will go against everything you think about that latch.

A friend in Chino Valley AZ who swears that he worked for GM for 40 years, etc. etc. said...

Completely clean the mechanism, remove all grease, lube, dirt etc. then leave it the hell alone. It will work fine.

I did so and have never had that thing stick again. No lube, grease, nothing but dust on that latch and loop on the hood and it works great.

This is what I did. Pulled it off, used the hose to clean all the grime off. then soaked it with WD40 simply because I had used water to clean it. Works like new now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.